2005 Range Rover

Heard today that the 2005 RR models, which are available now, have a new fibre optic CAN-BUS control system and will have the new Jag V8 available by March 2005 with the Ford diesels available by the Autumn, presumably a year from now.

Anyone know the crack on this fibre optic lark. Is the introduction, if true, a result of any deficiency in the previous system. I need to know because I am considering a new 2004 model diesel auto model.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 21:29:51 +0100, Huw wrote (in article ):

CAN-BUS is a (fairly) standard industrial control protocol, and it makes sense to use a fibre optic system to distribute it around the vehicle as a means of improving the immunity of the system to electrical noise.

I would not see this as an indication of any deficiency in the previous models. It would be better to view it as a logical (and actually rather significant) step in the on-going development of the application of electronics to vehicle applications. If it's good enough for airliners, it's good enough for Range Rovers.

I'll not be trading in my electronics free 90 2.5TD though!

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Williams

"Huw" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de...

Maybe it's the buzz on the Range Rover Sport/Range Stormer, supposed to be out in the end of 2005, with the Jaguar V-8 and 2,7l Diesel engines ? I'm waiting for that one. OK, it's not a real Off Road Thing, but I guess good enough for the everyday use.

-- Henry!

-- "Pleasure in a thing of beauty is the essence of a good life." Zino Davidoff

Reply to
Henry!

Rumour has it that the car is 300kg lighter owing to the reduced wiring

Ron

Reply to
The Becketts

"The Becketts" a écrit dans le message de news:

416cf3cd$0$20128$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au...

Oooh ! So now it just weighs 3,200 kg ! ;-)

-- Henry!

-- "Pleasure in a thing of beauty is the essence of a good life." Zino Davidoff

Reply to
Henry!

So The Becketts was, like

Lighter than what? An oil tanker? :-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Still considering this deal. The weight advantage is surely considerably less than 30kgs isn't it? The question I really need an answer to is whether there were any particular or general problems with the electrics on current RR models which have been addressed to advantage with the advent of the fibre optic wiring? Is there likely to be a premium for used vehicles with fibre optics?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

The weight adavantage is unlikely to be 300kg - but I reckon it would be more than 30kg.

The amount of wiring in a modern car is significant. I guess that's one of the reasons why modern wiring has such thin insulation.

Advantages? Probably few connectors and less chance of faults there. I understand that all manufacturers are now finding that electronic/electrical gremlins are their biggest warranty problem.

Ron

Reply to
The Becketts