What's up with the 2005 pricing structure?

Was thinking about trading in my '02 H6 Sedan for a '05 wagon until I saw the prices. What is Subaru smoking? $30K for a 4 cylinder wagon? Come on!! They're just slightly less then a STi. My H6 fully loaded didn't even cost me $25k. Even dealers I've talked to agree that the price are too high. One dealer said just wait till the 7 passenger comes out we've been told it'll sticker for $35k. I used to think Subaru was the affordable AWD now I'm looking at going back to GM at least I don't have to second mortgage to buy one.

So, someone enlighten me as to why Subaru has decided to price their vehicles along the lines of BMW, Volvo and Saab.

Reply to
null

Because of the higher profits available, Subaru has been on an "upmarket" trend for the past few years. The LL Bean and VDC Outbacks were the beginning. By upping the quality of the interiors in particular, they can offer a compelling alternative to Toyota and the European brands, especially VW and Audi who also offer AWD but at slightly higher prices. If a company realizes it will never sell the volume of cars that its more mainstream Japanese and Korean competitors do, then the premium niche market can still pull in pretty good profit (more per unit). Subaru's GM cousin Saab is even selling 2 versions of the 9-2, which are essentially upgraded Impreza and WRX models. Given that Subarus are probably more reliable than Volvo, Saab, VW, and Audi, and about the same reliability as BMW, they will do fine in the market by pricing at least a bit under comparably equipped models of those brands.

Reply to
tcassette

Can anyone tell me how the American Year model system works in terms of your cars?

It is not even midyear 2004 yet, and many posters here seem to be talking about buying, or having ALREADY bought a 2005 model vehicle.

What gives???

Here > Was thinking about trading in my '02 H6 Sedan for a '05 wagon until I

Reply to
anon

In news: snipped-for-privacy@dnews.tpgi.com.au, anon spewed:

Here in the US, the only rule is that a car must be available for sale on January 1 of its model year. Historically (back in the Big 3 Detroit days), the new model year started in September/October of any given year. In the past few years, that tradition has been blown to hell.

Reply to
Ned Pike

Thanx Ned for your response

I guess from an Aussie point of view, we don't have a large local automotive manufacturing entity - we have our local 2 (Aussie-spec GM Holden & Ford) and I think we also build Mitsubishi locally - but all of our Subarus are imported Japanese manufactured - so I guess this is why we continue with the 2005 available in 2005 (or at the VERY earliest, Nov or Dec 2004 AFAIAA)

Ned Pike wrote:

Reply to
anon

Afraid not ! :) Subaru Australia will be releasing the updated MY05 range (all models) in August 2004. On the upgrade list (so I've heard) is a manual tranny for the Liberty GT !

Reply to
Losiho

"Ned Pike" wrote: | In news: snipped-for-privacy@dnews.tpgi.com.au, | anon spewed: | > Can anyone tell me how the American Year model system works in terms | > of your cars? | >

| > It is not even midyear 2004 yet, and many posters here seem to be | > talking about buying, or having ALREADY bought a 2005 model vehicle. | >

| > What gives??? | | Here in the US, the only rule is that a car must be available for sale on | January 1 of its model year. Historically (back in the Big 3 Detroit days), | the new model year started in September/October of any given year. In the | past few years, that tradition has been blown to hell.

It's happened sporadically since the '60s. When Ford introduced the Mustang is was a 64 and-a-half model year, debuting in March IIRC.

New car models in the US are introduced earlier every year it seems.

But that's OK, because magazines are delivered earlier now, too.

What this means is that _Car and Driver_ will review the newly released

2005 Wundebar XTsIq in its August 2004 issue ... in June.

-bpb

Reply to
Brent Burton

HA HA HA ! ! !

Thanx Brent for the reply

Pity we can't all just stick to the correct dates..... I'm sure it's all a marketing ploy... to be the first one with the story, just because you say the date is 2 months early!!!

Like the news bullet> "Ned Pike" wrote:

Reply to
anon

What other upgrades, any changes to the 2.5i models? I'm hoping for the same

5 speed tranny from the GT. The auto 2.5i with 4 speed is a bit sluggish (So i have heard). It needs a 5 speed like the Honda Accord Euro. How about a 3.0 6 cylinder model. This would be great.
Reply to
Marky

They want to move "upscale" and will soon be in dire straits. Subaru's core audience are educated middle class professionals . Most will seek other alternatives before spending that kind of money. I bought my 04 OBW because I got it for under 20k. If I had to pay near the sticker of 26k I'd have bought something else. Hopefully subaru wises up and keeps some models affordable

Reply to
Jkpoulos7

traditionally the new models hit the ground in Aug. and that's the new model year, Aug. 2004 model year 2005 will be on the ground. the only car I can think of off hand is the Viper that goes calendar year not school year. now it's all screwy for some models, 2005 E 320 came out in May or something.

Reply to
Tha Ghee

never understood that either, why would you have any local news before 6 p.m., who's watching it??

Reply to
Tha Ghee

I think the 2.5s will keep the 4 speed auto. I just wish the 2.5s (both Liberty and Outback) came with a CD stacker, as it only comes with a single CD player, and there's no way to upgrade or add one later.

The only news I've heard so far is a manual Liberty GT, and colour / trim changes to the Forester lineup. The Forester STi is definitely a no go for Australia, and I think price may delay the 3.0R Liberty sedan for the time being :(

Reply to
Losiho

Yep, correct me if I am wrong but to get the stacker you need to get the Sports option pack (leather,stacker and something else i think $3000). You could put your own deck in but Subaru have not made this easy on this model.

Looks like I'll have to settle for the 2.5. Maybe put an exhaust on it to improve performance a bit. 60/40 seats are also missed.

Reply to
Marky

Reply to
JaySee

A CD changer is available on the Luxury and Premium versions (not the base model or the safety pack). I'd grab a premium pack with a 5 speed manual if they offered it. The audio and ventilation controls are integrated, so aftermarket audio installations are very difficult, if not impossible.

Choose the wagon if you need split fold seats :) IMO, the new wagons are better looking than the sedan - the rear tail lights on the sedan are just a little too Camry-ish. BTW, I have a 1999 Outback 2.5 auto. There's enough grunt to keep up with, or beat, Magnas, Camrys and Falcadores (6 cylinder) in traffic. Just don't expect it to pull like a V8 at freeway speeds. If you want to improve performance, I've heard a cold air intake frees up the 2.5 nicely.

Reply to
Losiho

I thought I might buy a leftover 2004 OBW, but for some strange reason the car seems to have less front seat room than my '95 Legacy.

So I thought I'd hold out for an '05. I went out last weekend to test drive one. I checked out a Legacy sedan. I was very impressed with the car, and it seems to have a bit more room than the older generation and felt more solid on the road. So far, so good. Problem is, for a base Legacy sedan with automatic the MSRP is $24k. If you want to splurge and get a moonroof, you have to get the limited model with leather for another couple grand. The salesman said they're going after the european car buyer. We'll see how that works out for them.

A big selling point for me in the first place with subaru was the value.

Unfortunately, there seems to be no AWD *car* available in my price range. With the subarus starting in the mid-20s, or Audis, and Volvos well into the $30k range, a small SUV like the ford escape sounds downright cheap at $19k.

Reply to
Mr. A

The Impreza 2.5 RS starts at under $19K in a sedan or wagon.

Reply to
y_p_w

Yes, In my youth (im only 26 now) I had a fairly expensive audio system in my '88 telstar (audio system is now more expensive than the car itself). I has a typical doof doof car, big 15" sub etc. Hopefully the stock head unit in the Liberty is adequate. Speakers can always be changed. Hopefully the head unit at least has one set of pre-outs for an amp to power the front speakers. I'll be getting an auto.

Yeah, I don't need split fold seats, just thought it could be handy on that rare occassion. Unfortunately, I do agree about the tail lights. Hopefully will get used to them.

The GT would be fanatstic but price/premium fuel requirement/insurance does not justify it for me, I'm sure (it must be) the 2.5 auto will be miles ahead of my 3 speed auto '88 telstar. Performance mods may not be necessary for my needs, I can't wait to test drive, hopefully the preformance will surprise me.

Reply to
Marky

Impreza is fine for young person/couple but add kids dogs gear and its not really adequate. The Outback is fine sizewise but they will suffer if they price it as such

Reply to
Jkpoulos7