200TDi into petrol 90 CSW 1984

Well I have my new 200TDi, Steve Parker conversion pipe, Defender TDi exhaust. Questions: Does the 200TDi fit the 90 using the standard Disco engine mounts, remember the one I have is petrol.... Has anyone hung a TDi exhaust on a petrol 90? What's the best way to "linkout" the existing petrol pump down by the tank, do I remove the whole thing or does the pipe come off and connect back to the tank? Anybody done this conversion able to give me any useful pointers?

Reply to
Paul Luggar

In message , Paul Luggar writes

I have not seen the Steve Parker pipe but I am sure it will make fitting a Disco engine much easier.

Simply running your fuel line from the pick up in the tank to the lift pump on the engine and then the return from the injector pump / injector spill rail to the return on the tank will sort your fuel system. You could even buy the genuine fuel lines to make a nice job of it.

What have you done with your petrol Engine ? IS it still OK? I might well be interested if it is a good one.

Reply to
Marc Draper

Not sure if the tank for the petrol would be the same fittings as the diesel, suppose I will find out! I'm hoping the fittings on the tank are the same "ends" as I'm hoping to simply swop them over without too much fuss or extra expense! The petrol lump may well go up for sale when I'm done, it's only done abt

40,000 miles and is in A1 condition, uses loads of petrol though! Still have to find out about the exhaust fittings, hopefully the hangers are in the right places! Anybody know about the engine mounts for sure? I'm having visions of hanging the engine in only to find out the mounts won't fit!
Reply to
Paul Luggar

In message , Paul Luggar writes

Unbolt the disco engine mounts from block and fit the ones from your petrol engine and it will fit fine.

You may have to drill out the holes in the bell housing a little for he Tdi studs to fit.

I have done a 3 conversions the other way, from TD to petrol as it is as cheap way of keeping a defender on the road if you dont do many miles. It is all very simple

Reply to
Marc Draper

That's interesting Marc, I have heard so many versions now I'm not sure which is correct. Some say the petrol and diesel (NA) brackets are the same, some say they have to be modded to fit the TDi? So I remove the Disco mounts totally to the block then? I was hoping to use the nuts off of the petrol engine, they won't fit then if the TDi studs are bigger? I'm interested as to why fit a petrol, is petrol cheaper then diesel for you then?

Reply to
Paul Luggar

In message , Paul Luggar writes

A good rebuild on a diesel engine is over 1k you can pick up 2.5 petrol engines for nothing and they don't go wrong much. So if you do very little mileage it is a bit of a no brainer.

All 2.5 engine mounts are in the same position on the block and chassis prior to the 300 tdi. The mount on a discovery is very different but just unbolt the entire thing from the block and use your defender mounts.

Reply to
Marc Draper