series 2A - clutch pedal very stiff and slow to move up.

I've been over to have a look at a series 2A belonging to a local scout group tonight. Have fixed a few things and spent 30 minutes drving it round a field,
but still the clutch isnt behaving as it should -
The pedal is very stiff. When you press it and then take your foot off it moves back up very slowly (so you do some interesting revving on the spot between gears!) Occasionally (generally when you change gear twice in quick succession) it will go totally hard so you cant press it. If you wait a few seconds it will go back to 'normal'.
What are the likely suspects here? is it going to be hydraulic issues or something like the diaphram plate?
Tom Woods wrote:

What are you asking us for, you're the clutch expert. Tried the same test we did ?
Steve
On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 23:55:42 +0000, Steve Taylor

I dont have much luck with clutches!
I've never seen a clutch do this before! It is working perfectly bar the being incredibly stiff and having to wait for it to decide to come back up after pressing it! It is not loosing pressure or juice anywhere so it aint like all my failed clutches!
Didnt have time to investigate the clutch further tonight (I was driving it round the field stopping once per lap to tweak the brake adjusters after we stripped and cleaned everything). Am going to put in another evening in a week or two and we will investigate it then but wondered if anyone might have any pointers so we can buy the required bits first!
Tom Woods wrote:

It does SOUND like you have a pinched off pipe somewhere.
Steve
Tom Woods wrote:

Rust/mud/shite causing the release bearing to jam - I see it often on vehicles that have had water in the bellhousing.

this thing doesnt look like it has been wading. was bought off a guy who obviously spent a lot of time and money on it before parking it up for a few years. brake drums, pads, cyls and hub seals are brand new and totally spotless inside so i dont think it has been wading.
Tom Woods wrote:

Then I'd assume it was assembled without lubrication on the release bearing carrier - leads to the same problem without needing added water.

I can safely say that while many things may have been changed on this truck the gearbox was not one of them!. It whines like a bastard in 1st and reverse! Seller said that all the work on it had been done prefessionally. I've got to say that all the shoes and brakes and hub seals were done properly and tidily - you can see where the hub seals have been smeared with grease and everthing including things like backplate bolts and locktabs and hub cabs have been replaced with new!
Tom Woods wrote:

I had the same problem with mine a couple of years back. Turned out the clutch hydraulic hose was a bit rotted inside & was largely closed up. Didn't diagnose it till it'd destroyed the clutch slave due to my impatience with it. Looked perfectly fine on the outside too.
--
Karen

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.'
On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 15:21:46 +1000, Duracell Bunny

clutch flexy hose is on the shopping list for our next visit!

clutch
diagnose
Looked
Had that problem several times in the past, I agree, most definitely flexible rotted inside, unless, not as likely, metal pipe squashed when changing an engine etc.
Martin
On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 10:17:53 -0000, "Oily"

it may have had an engine change so that is a possibility too (it has a very shiney, clean and sweet sounding military green engine in it)

Dragging seal is my first guess.
Lee
Lee_D wrote:

The pedal itself should return immediately. Check the pedal return spring. If the hydraulics are having to return the pedal also, clutch engagement will be slowed as the master cylinder piston will not clear the fluid path back to the reservoir quickly.
You may have all the other problems, too!

Site Timeline