£210

On or around Wed, 22 Mar 2006 18:59:37 -0000, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

although of course you'll pay much less duty and VAT via the fuel...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 22 Mar 2006 20:47:53 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

Mind, if you compare a truck which carries say 20T of cargo with your DII hauling maybe 2T in vehicle and trailer, you'd need 10 DIIs to haul the same amount of stuff, at an equivalent MPG of 2.8, which bearing in mind a modern

38T artic carrying 20T should get 10 mpg is not all that clever.

doesn't mean that bulk haulage shouldn't be on the railway, mind. As for canals, we never upgraded them enough in this country - you need bigger canals and bigger boats to be viable.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 22 Mar 2006 17:27:52 +0000, Judith enlightened us thusly:

yours is pre 2001 and so it doesn't apply. Graduated duty didn't start til march 2001 and is not retrospective.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

You are the only one here that has hit the nail on its head. Well done. The tax on fuel and cars is nothing to do with the environment. It is purely what he feels he can get away with in raising revenue.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

That used to add about £200 or so to my wage packet most months back in the good old days, hopefully soon to return ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Virtually none, but plenty of suspension-jarring bumps with potholes and protruding kerbs on the track outside the house, and the roads around here have more mud and cowshit that some green lanes I've driven!

I used to live in a city (Reading) though with speed bumps being common, but I didn't try to leap from one to the other ;-)

Yeah but not a £60K+ "off-roader" though...

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Indeed, but then what isn't? In human timescales, solar power is pretty good, but not much cop for powering a car, especially at night..

Burning waste oil or veg oil in a diesel engine would be a good way to carry on in the short term until we find the magic bullet.

I pay £130 per month to heat a four-bed house in Dorset on kerosene, somewhere around the 30p/l mark. thankfully it drops in the summer!!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Yeah but a V8 that isn't in a space-framed tiny little british sports car that weights about the same as my landy's spare wheel is a wasted V8!

My landy doesn't give me a hearing problem, after using it I can't hear a thing so I just type messages to people instead, no problem...

Anyhow, I can't really hear the diesel engine over the flapping of the canvas, the rumbling of the tyres, the wind noise and the transmission, in fact I forgot to change into 5th recently and wondered why the truck didn't have much go, didn't hear the engine revving its nuts off....

I just fill up with veg oil from the local cash 'n' carry or fill a few jerry cans beforehand, it's relatively safe to store diesel in your garden.

V8s belong in sports cars, not fecking great big bunny squashers.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Also stop buying goods like fruit that are shipped from overseas, each banana etc costs about its own weight in fuel to ship the thing halfway across the planet quickly enough for it to be fresh when it hits the shelves. I've heard about people buying "organic" goods to help save the planet etc etc, but they're shipped from the bloody USA and they're not free of pesticides etc, just certain ones.

"Save the planet" is becoming one of those terms that's used as justification for everything, like "safety" and "terrorism".

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Fair comment Austin, but I'm still being stung for a road tax that doesn't even get spent on the roads these days!! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Whilst casting a nod in the direction of the hysterical anti 4X4 lobby cos he thinks there might be votes in it.

Reply to
Larry

£0 for a Pre-73 Series.

Wonder why I run IIa's.....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Agreed, and as he feels he can't get away with it any more the inflation related rises that should have happened since the fuel protests a year or so back haven't happened...

Duty on aviation fuel would be nice but I'm not sure it would have the desired effect, the airlines would buy fuel in places without the Duty. They already do buy where it's cheapest when they can to avoid refuelling at "expensive" airports.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Vehicles post 2001 were taxed on CO2 emission levels, vehicles prior to that are taxed on engine size.

Getchore VED rates heeyar!

danny

On or around Wed, 22 Mar 2006 21:24:25 +0000 (GMT), snipped-for-privacy@zhochaka.org.uk ("David G. Bell") enlightened us thusly:

I suspect there may be a precedent created to allow either the addition of another higher band or to make band G more expensive in future, though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 23 Mar 2006 00:38:30 +0000, Alex enlightened us thusly:

ditto my series III. :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

But an aircraft has a maximum landing weight, beyond which there are issues with tyres and brakes etc and so cannot for example land at Heathrow, take on a fresh load of passengers/cargo and then set off for, say, New York. It has to refuel, so the company would have no choice but to pay the tax, which would push up the cost of air travel/freight. personally, I fail to see why one of the largest polluting modes of transport (not necessarily grams of pollution per passenger, but per mile travelled) shouldn't be taxed just like the rest of us! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Hello Brian. I think would mean admitting guilt as a polluter

regards still daft as ever john

Reply to
Oakesy

bumps in a 101 are great since the track of the truck seems just wide enough that you dont notice the island type of bumps :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Seconded.... and rumble strips... Lol... I think the frequency matches the bar grip tread as I can't tell they are there.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D