300tdi Engine problems

A neighbour is driving his 300tdi Disco in early hours of morning when it stops, engine cuts out, he tries to restart but engine won't turn over. Battery has been on it's last legs for a while so suspects that may be why it won't restart/turn over. AA called, they check it out, try various things, and eventually try bump starting it, all with no luck. They then truck it home.

New battery bought but although the electrics now work it still won't turn over. They, being optimists, suspect the starter motor.

Is it likely to be a broken cam belt? If so what damage is likely to have been done to the engine?AND what damage could have been caused by the AA trying to bump start it?

What else could it be?

Reply to
Bob Hobden

In message , Bob Hobden writes

Tell him to take the ancillary drive belt off... then try to start it.

My money is on a seized alternator.

I have had that happen twice to customers cars.

Even heard our local main agent took the head off one 300tdi before finding it was just the alternator.

Hope that helps

Reply to
Marc Draper

Immobiliser ?? The 300 Tdi have a known problem with two button remotes ; where the spider PCB breaks up and causes intermittent non-starting ! Solution is to either extract PCB from spider and go over it with a soldering iron ( can be spotted due to arcing and black marks ) or ( more likely success ) buy an upgrade from LR to fit which reroutes the immobilser and you end up with an extra fob that deactivates via a rely behind the dash. £ 250

Reply to
Hirsty's

On or around Mon, 14 Mar 2005 19:09:32 +0000, Marc Draper enlightened us thusly:

we had a self-destructed water pump here. destroyed its bearings and the shaft went crooked in it. Mind, it threw the belt, rather than not turning.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

"Hirsty" replied

But would that cause the engine to stall in the first place?

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Do you mean "won't trun over" as in when bumping it the engine will not go round, or turning the key does nothing.

Assuming you mean that then engine can be turned, but the starter does nothing, then most likely the wire has come off the starter solenoid.

I'd still go for the wire falling off, but if you want to check for a broken cam belt you can take the the oil filler cap off and gently roll the vehicle in gear (being very careful to to run someone over!) and whatch for the rockers moving, If they do, the belt is ok.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

More than 1 problem.

The cut out could be due to several things, but 1st, I'd look at the cut out switch wire on the back of the injector pump. If its fallen off, corroded or just badly connected, that will cause a cut out.

Non running starter could be cable connections, dodgy solonoid or lots of other stuff.

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

On or around Tue, 15 Mar 2005 08:42:55 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

yep, that's an essential part of the proceedings.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Which part, the checking the cam belt or the not knocking someone over..? Hehehe

Reply to
cyberwraith

On or around Tue, 15 Mar 2005 11:46:31 GMT, "cyberwraith" enlightened us thusly:

read it again...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

"beamendsltd" wrote after"Bob Hobden" asked

When trying to start there are the usual noises for a very short time as if the starter is engaged but the engine does not turn over, pushing the vehicle in gear is the same, it won't turn over.

See above

I would have hoped the AA would have checked for that before they tried bump starting it, but will suggest they check that first and then the alternator etc etc.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Hi Bob, Lets agree on some definitions - this is Usenet, and folks will still argue even if we do agree.

;-)

If the starter is engaged, and its making the usual -ur -ur -rrr-rrr noise, its turning over.

If the starter is going wheeeeeeee Its not engaged.

If the lights are dimming out to off and it clicks, either the battery is knackered or uncharged or the starter is stalled dead, either because it failed to engage properly, or because the engine is buggered.

What do YOU mean by it won't turn over - do you mean fire ? or rotate ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

On or around Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:08:08 +0000, Steve Taylor enlightened us thusly:

and if it goes urk. then it's engaged and the engine's stuck for some reason, yet to be determined.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Urk ? Not had one that's only turn a little bit, rock solid yes, but not a little bit.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

It makes the normal noises, i.e. the starter engages, and then the engine won't rotate and then the starter disengages after slipping on the ring (and I'm not about to try to write the sounds it's making) :-) When I put it in 2nd gear and tried moving it there appeared to be some movement but it could have been drive belt stretch if one thinks on the alternator suggestion. It will all have to wait until his wife gets home, he being away. I'll keep you informed.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

No idea, however my bugger chose to start when it pleased and no amount of thumping bumping or swearing would get it going. It simply started after an unpredictable time. Had LR assisstance to see it and he diagnosed sensor coil first time and jammed starter second time . After replacing both ( ( £

340 ) I took it to RCVehicles in Kent and they did the spider ( £250 ) which solved the problem. Reason I mentioned it is that it would seem to be a small advance to cutting the engine as it was under way. ???

Good Luck John H

Reply to
Hirsty's

Should the starter be slipping? Id have thought that if the engine was siezed then the starter would turn enough to engage the flywheel teeth and then clonk to a stop (and be unable to push the flywheel anymore)

I tried to start a car with an engine that was siezed up after sitting for a long while. It did this

Reply to
Tom Woods

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Austin Shackles blithered:

Isn't there a fault with one of the LR deisel engines that the oil pump drive falls off, don't know that would manifest itself as nil rotation.

Is the engine hydraulicked? ie a cylinder is full of liquid, from wherever, can be overcome/checked by pushing it over backwards in a fwd gear! Doesn't need a whole cylinder full just a combustion chamber's worth. If it was a petrol I'd say take the plugs out and see if it'll turn over then, dunno 'bout a deisel!

Reply to
GbH

That's a TD5 problem

Peter