300tdi fuel problem

300 Tdi Defender 90 1998 95000 miles

2 minor problems which I don't think are related.

  1. Small diesel leak from the rear of the fuel injection pump, I thought it was a banjo bolt, which I removed and replaced the copper washers, but there is still a small leak. This bolt holds the spill return pipe.

  1. Leave the Landover for 2 days or longer, it is difficult to start. I have to turn the starter motor quite a lot to get it to fire. When I use the vehicle every day it starts first time. I have replaced the fuel filter but that hasn't improved it.

Any ideas why it should be difficult to start after it has been stood for a couple of days?

Dave

Reply to
laundry_man

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 15:13:24 GMT, "laundry_man" scribbled the following nonsense:

they are related.....

The fuel drains down because of the air leak, which then means the pump and fuel system has to be reprimed by you cranking the engine over.

Airor leaks in an injected flle system is generally A Bad Thing. Find the precise reason for the leak (eg brittle age hardened pipe with a small split) and sort that, and the problem more than likely will go away.

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Hello Simon Thanks for the reply I will have a go at sorting the leak. I have to agree with your comments. But the reason I first said it was not related was that after i removed this banjo bolt and replaced the copper washers, the engine started first time. Although some diesel had been lost and air had entered into the system.

I will let you know how it goes

Dave

Reply to
laundry_man