4.2 in Classic LSE - What to look for after overheating?

I was expecting to collect a 4.2 LSE this evening.

The vendor now tells me that it overheated at the weekend, possibly a blown pipe. Still overheating, and now thought to be a new thermostat.

I've read things about cracked blocks and blown head gaskets.

Assuming that the vehicle gets presented to me as 'fixed' and doesn;t overheat on a subsequent test drive, what else should I look for to ensure that I've not been sold a pup?!

(And how hard to I hit the vendor for lending 'my' car (deposit paid etc) to his brother to drag a caravan about the country!)

Up until this point I thought I found both a good car and a good bloke to buy from.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
mike whiskey

Ask the arse for the deposit back, and walk away!

Nigel

Reply to
Bear

Small claims court if he messes which is possible considering his cavalier attitude so far

Reply to
Hirsty's

|| Ask the arse for the deposit back, and walk away!

Exactly what I was going to say. Once you have paid a deposit, he is honour bound to make minimum use of it until you pay in full and collect. He shouldn't make any use of it that might reduce its value (eg long journeys), still less lend it to someone else. If he's prepared to treat you like a fool over this, rest assured he will be doing it over the things he's not prepared to admit to.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

So far, you have all said what my first response was. However, apart from this it really is a mint car, and (was) a good deal too. Especially as he's just put 12 months MOT on it, which considering he had to renew all the steel brake pipes can't have been cheap.

If I'm charitable, I could believe he was naieve rather than scheming, in lending the vehicle out. Certainly he's made no attempt to hide the problem, and as far as I can tell is an honest man. (risky to judge in this day and age i know) He has said he'll return my deposit if he can't fix it, and has offered to deliver, having messed up my plans to collect.

So admittedly the best advice on what to look for is 'another car' but if i choose not to do this, and he presents the car as fixed (and I'll want to see the receipt for the work done) what should i look for in relation to the overheating?

Mark

Hirsty's wrote:

Reply to
mike whiskey

On or around 7 Aug 2006 12:14:03 -0700, "mike whiskey" enlightened us thusly:

There are issues with RRCs, cooling and aircon. For optimum cooling, you can't have the aircon rad in it - but that stops the aircon working; there's a reason why they have those additional electric fans. I don't know if the problem is amenable to solution by extensive cleaning of both rads to maximise airflow, or by replacing id they're damaged in such a way as to restrict airflow.

I do know that my BiL eventually removed the aircon rad and decommissioned the aircon to stop his 3.9 overheating when towing heavy loads.

If you don't tow heavy loads, of course (and in his case we're talking close to maximum) then you have less of a problem.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Tread very, very carefuly. There's a good chance that you are looking at a new block or engine - it's not certain, but if you are going to take the vehicle on then you need to get a suitable discount/arrangment to cover the likely cost. Personaly I wouldn't lend the car to him, never mind his brother, as who exactly would be insuring it or be responsible for tickets etc - a potential nightmare.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd