Clunk on takeup

I have a 90 that has had a 200tdi fitted at some point.

quite often there is a clunk on lifting the clutch both when setting off from standing and when changing up during driving.

I have had a look and discovered that i can get a fair bit of rotational play by hand on the front propshaft , my question is, how do i know whether the fault lies in the front diff, or the transfer box?

cheers

colin

Reply to
cg

Start off checking the propshaft UJ's. With the appropriate wheels chocked, jack up a corner with the handbrake off and check for play in the propshaft UJ's - the rear of the front prop is favourite. It important to check UJ's with no load on them - even very knackerd ones will seem ok with the wheels on the ground and the handbrake on. Check all the radius arm bushes and the A frame ball joint. If they are ok, and the free play is more than about ¼ turn, take the PTO cover off the transfer box and rattle the input gear - no rusty muck and/or play means thats probably ok. A bit of a clunk isn't wildly unusal, and you may just have to wait for the offending component to make itself known.

It quite unikely that the diffs are at fault - they are usually very vocal about telling you when they are unhappy.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Thanks for that, I don't think it is the UJ's when i rotate the propshaft, the UJs at both ends also moves with the shaft.

I am puzzled.

colin

Reply to
cg

On or around 7 Aug 2006 08:01:46 -0700, "cg" enlightened us thusly:

it can be CV joints in the front axle, if the axle's done a lot of miles. However, if it's a 5-speed LTT77 then my money's on the gearbox output shaft/transfer input gear splines. expensive fix, if so, so carry on driving and be gentle with the clutch.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I think you are looking for the wrong thing. The UJ's will always turn with the propshaft (belive me, if they don't you really would notice ;-) ), the UJ's are X shape things that join the actual shaft to the drive flanges (the bits with the 4 bolts in that go into the gear box one end and the diff the other). The ends of each arm of the X sit in little cups in the yoke (the sort of arm things). You should be looking for sideways movement where the X "legs" go into the cups - i.e with a wheel off the ground try and push-up and pull-down the propshaft - it shouldn't move except for the normal truning movenent.

That's probably worst explanation ever, but I've tried!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On my old 200Tdi Disco it turned out to be the A frame ball joint, as mentioned above. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB