50 mph limit on A - roads ??

SG: The book of road signs is very clear that speed limits have to have a red circle around the numbers. It is permitted, however, to have that mounted onto a yellow reflective background (even square) where the local highways authority think it would be beneficial to the motorist. Speed limit signs with a black circle are not legally enforceable - neither are the ones painted on the road surface.

SG: As above, the background can be reflective yellow and square. Any other speed sign (like the matrix signs on most motorways) are simply "advisory", although some motorwy matrix signs - like the M25 - have red circles and are mandatory.

The subject of legalality of signs gets quite a regular airing on the IAM forum and there are loads of examples of incorrect ones in use. There is a mini roundabout in Bristol that has 3 roads joining it. Depending on which road you're on you either see a normal roundabout sign with a give way line, a mini-roundabout sign with a give way line or a mini-roundabout sign with a stop line - they all have the triangular give way signs on the approach :-)

Regards Steve G

remove the nospam to email me

Reply to
SteveG

But, I'm almost certain I've been along roads with streetlamps where there are clearly marked 40mph zones? (in Wales).

Reply to
Llandrovers!

Quite possibly, but if there are no limit signs then street lights normally signify a 30mph limit. Rule 103 of the HC.

I live on a dual carriage way (normally 70mph) with street lights (normally 30mph) and a 40mph signed limit - although you'd think it was Brands Hatch the way some drivers exceed the limit :-(

Regards Steve G

remove the nospam to email me

Reply to
SteveG

The cash for the partnership comes partly from central government and partly from the partners - all public bodies. The police (Avon & Somerset) physically operate the cameras but don't take any of the revenue raised, that all goes to the partners to offset the initial costs.

They published a business plan at the start of the partnership which needed 10,000 fines to be issued to break even. To my mind that's like giving them a quota to fill.

Regards Steve G

remove the nospam to email me

Reply to
SteveG

Agreed.

Similar story here - although thankfully there is a large grass bank screening the house from the dual carriageway and the property has it's own narrow quiet access road. The cars scream along the dual carriageway sometimes!

Reply to
Llandrovers!

In article , SteveG writes

Well I guess it generates a few jobs for someone.

The benefits are supposed to be increased road safety, fewer road casualties and reduced NHS costs...

Reply to
John Halliwell

Is this where they used to do the scrambling? I used to live in Burton, until we moved to Usk, in Wales.

Reply to
Nikki

Don't know about scrambling ... there's a car/bike racing circuit, an off-road training course and skid pan though. Like Austin, I'll wave whenever I drive past Usk in future :-)

Regards Steve G

remove the nospam to email me

Reply to
SteveG

Then we moved to Market Harborough. Dad was one of the main food technologists behind Pot Noodles, used to work in Crumlin - got a promotion and offered a better job with Golden Wonder, at their Market Harborough site. Benefits of the job included as many crisps as you could eat in a week for a very reasonable price, and as guinea pigs for new products and market research. On occassions when I lived at home we have had blue fish fingers, purple chips, green smash type potatoes, mushy peas with out any colour additives(a really nasty looking shade of grey) and fishcakes with some sort of exploding crumb similar to the candy that pops on your tounge.

Then I left home and moved to Leicester:-(

Reply to
Nikki

On or around Fri, 15 Aug 2003 11:31:15 +0100, Nikki enlightened us thusly:

ah. waste of time waving then... I'll save the energy for lifting the pop bottle.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 13 Aug 2003 13:22:20 +0100, Llandrovers! enlightened us thusly:

oddly, this one has only just appeared, I suspect it got lost in a power failure at DFN.

and who're you kidding, out 300 TDi (now that I've got it running right) will go up to getting on for 100.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I was trying to suggest that I haven't tried to see how fast mine will go ..

In fact it was clocked at over a ton at Castle Combe circuit so will definately go faster than that as the speed camera there is on the start/finish line rather than at the end of the straight.