92 Range Rover very slow on mountain passes

Hello,

This may be normal for a 1992 3.9 V8, but it seems a bit too slow on mountain passes. I get a great ride and plenty of speed (90mph+ if I want) on regular freeway stretches. But, as I go up inclines I am sometimes laboring to get 40mph with just me in the truck. This seems a bit off, as the V8 should get me more power than that? Is this normal? Getting up to freeway speeds on flat stretches is encouraging and it seems to run very well. But dogging up the mountains has me concerned. Help appreciated.

joe myers

Reply to
joe myers

The engine has done 115,000. The altitude is around 5000-7000 ft. A couple of the passes are quite steep. I was shifting down to third as well. I am very new to Range Rovers and have been pampering it for a while but gradually pushing it to see how it performs. Perhaps if I was more heavy footed on the throttle? I really haven't punched it all the way down. My prior V8 was a 1980 Buick Rivera and it screamed up the mountains. As well, the accelerator seemed more sensitive. So I am still adjusting to the drastic switch of vehicles. Do you have to lead foot the Rangies to get them pushing?

joe

Reply to
joe myers

At that mileage you're probably ready for a minor overhaul - cams and followers tend to wear, even on the later ones. Mine is in for a check out today as it happens (130K) so I'll let you know how long Warren's list is!

But definitely stick your foot down - much longer throttle travel on Land Rovers than mere cars, to give you more control on very bumpy roads.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs