58 MPH !!!!

Yes my series 3 2/14 petrol actually showed 58mph on the dual carriageway back from Birmingham today, on a slightly downhill section, however when I got back to Coventry she was overheating, needed about half a gallon of water to top her up. No obvios leaks but the water has been going somewhere over the last 500 miles or so.

Looks like I need to keep the antifreeze handy along with the big oil container.

Reply to
Larry

I had the pleasure of being a passenger in a Series 3 diesel (LWB), never topped 45mph and you had to shout to hold a conversation, great fun! My old S3 2.25 petrol with overdrive would cruise at 60mph, well that's what the Speedo read........

Reply to
Lee Argyle

i got 63 out of mine on the M1 in a moment of stupidity. the obvious proviso applies: downhill, tail wind, etc. shook a few lorry drivers up i can say! well two. . .

one actually. . .

. . . he got me on the uphill.

ted

Reply to
teddave

In article , Lee Argyle writes

Mine reads War and Peace, mostly...

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Took my 2.25 petrol (8:1 comp 5 bearing engine plus overdrive though) 800 miles across the channel to just past Limoges - mostly motorway. Managed to average 55 mph. Blew two hub seals and drained all the transfer box oil all over the chassis.

Came back a bit more slowly.

That was 5 years ago and the old girl is still running fine :-)

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

I think I managed to just about break the speed limit on the dual carriageway in mine today! I've never managed that before! A year ago I drove down to weymouth and managed an average of 45 along the motorway. It's nice to know that all the time and money ive wasted has actually done something to it!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Hehe. I have a S3 2.6 with Ovedrive that will do 75 along the flat, and I've had 85 downhill.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Then I would spend some bucks on a decent overhaul ;-)

Mine (109 2,25 petrol) does 72 on full throttle and it is really easy to have a crusing speed of 60 to 66.

If you already deaf. If not, it is more useful to stay at about 50 as we learned on our longest no-stop trip from Vienna to Genova heading for the ferry to Tunisia. (1000km)

Raoul

Reply to
Raoul Donschachner

I guess mine would go faster downhill if I put her in neutral too :)

Reply to
Larry

carriageway

Either there was a very strong headwind, your engine's in dire need of a service (which could explain the overheating) or your speedo's under-reading (got larger tyres perhaps?)

Reply to
PDannyD

She is of 1973 vintage, and possesses one of those big roofracks. you can't expect much from an old lady.

Larry

"PDannyD"

Reply to
Larry

Twas Thu, 4 Dec 2003 20:24:39 -0000 when "Larry" put finger to keyboard producing:

Is it windy out?

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Mr.Nice.

Seriously, I'd see about giving your Land Rover a tune-up and service. It should easily manage 58mph and shouldn't overheat at all in this weather.

Reply to
PDannyD

But you only did 58mph becasue you were avoiding getting done for speeding (Above 60mph) by all the camara's along there eh? ;-)

Reply to
Mark

On or around Thu, 4 Dec 2003 20:24:39 -0000, "Larry" enlightened us thusly:

had the ol' series II petrol showing 77 once. Was following an ecnalubma which had an acquaintance's GF inside, once on the motorway, ecnalubma pissed off at about 90.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In article , Larry writes

Larry

I feel that perhaps you a bordering on the edges of known science.

Almost like trying to go faster than the speed light in a shopping trolley.

Water loss, time travel, the possibilities could be endless.

Lets here it for Larry "a true pioneer"

Reply to
marc

in article bqo53i$24go3e$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-129032.news.uni-berlin.de, Larry at snipped-for-privacy@larry-arnold.com wrote on 4/12/03 20:24:

I got my Srs2a off the clock and still pulling before I relised the speed and backed off.

Reply to
Rory Manton

Still have to guess how fast ours is going, but it kept up with the traffic on the bypass from Lutterworth Road to Fosse Park and the speed limit is 50, so it must be able to do somewhere around that mark.

Reply to
Nikki

"Rory Manton"

...and also observed the fuel guage going equally as quick in the opposite direction ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

In message , Larry writes

Back in the early 60s a mate had a diesel, complete with hand throttle (chicken switch) Would do about 58 flat out. Not as much traffic in those days.

Reply to
hugh