Fairey Freewheeling Hub stuck. Advice Please.

How much force should I use to turn a stuck freewheeling hub? Anyone broken one trying to shift it? Fortunately it's stuck on the '4x4' position rather than the '4x2' position but I guess at some point I'm going to need to sort it out. I have got assembly instructions but don't want to start dismantling if it's just a question of being a bit more agressive with it.

Thanks in Advance

Peter Meed (1972 SIII SWB Petrol 2.25)

Pics at:

Peter Meed

I've had similar problems with various FWH over the years - my usual method to free them is to ensure that the drivetrain is not "locking" the hub. Try reversing up a few feet with the transfer box in 2WD. If that fails try jacking up the front end so that both wheels rotate and then try again.

If that fails I guess its time to learn about the internal workings of the hubs.

Best of luck.

Reply to
Roger Martin

Thanks Roger, I'll give that a try.

Reply to
Peter Meed

There was an article in one of the mags about how to do this. Didn't pay much attention to it, as you don't tend to find many on Discos or RaRos. I have a feeling it had something to do with disengaging a cunning clip around the rim somewhere. Sorry I can't be more helpful, maybe somebody else read it?

Reply to
David French

Just don't attack it with mole grips. like Bruce did. He ended up breaking the cap and we must have looked for one AVM freewheeling hub on all the second hand stalls at two landrover shows. Ended up with a new set and donated the good one.

Reply to
Nikki