Land Rover Discovery 1990 2.5 Tdi

Hi!

Greetings from snowy Finland.

I´m thinking of buying a Land Rover Discovery, but I´ve started to doubt the size of the trunk. I have 2 sons, 7 months and 1 year 9 months old, and their strollers should be able to take with us on vacation etc. and we also have 2 dogs not to mention about all stuff that should come with us.

Is the car suitable for family use?

If You have something good or bad to say about the car please e-mail me at snipped-for-privacy@jippii.nospam.fi (remove nospam)

My cars at the moment:

Range Rover 1973 powered by Iveco 3.5litres Td engine (mostly Offroad use, but street legal) Skoda Octavia 1999 1,9litres Tdi combi Nissan Sunny 1990 1.6litres (My wifes car)

jani

Reply to
Jani

On or around 4 Dec 2003 12:20:41 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@jippii.fi (Jani) enlightened us thusly:

more usable space than your Range Rover on the same chassis.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Maybe but we have one dog, and two older kids and we need to use a roof box on longer trips with the RR. If you put the dog in the passenger footwell then we can do without the roofbox. With two younger kiddies and push chairs?

I'd look for a Discovery with a ladder so you could reach the roofbox - two dogs will pretty much fill the boot in any case.

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

Depends on how big the dogs are.

Use it for our family holidays and tow a twin axle caravan as well. We bought the Disco to get all the kids in after baby number four arrived and couldn't fit three car seats as well as the eldest in.

Reply to
Nikki

I've recently added a full-size roofrack because dogs AND kids AND pushchairs doesn't work. Then again I won't carry dogs anywhere except behind the dog guard, so the boot is entirely written off. I haven't seen a machine that could do any better than this one.

One thing I will say is that if you 1990 Disco hasn't had it done, get the shocks, bushes, springs etc properly looked at. They could well be knackered. My Disco is fine empty, but with three people, three dogs, luggage and stuff on the roof it is not as good as it could be, and it is 5 years younger than the one you are looking at. I'm guessing you won't have a rear antiroll bar either. Just something to consider for the weight you could end up carrying and/or pulling.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Apart from a 110 CSW of course...

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Do you have to use heavy duty straps to keep the kids on the roofrack?

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

or this?

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

On or around Thu, 04 Dec 2003 23:52:56 +0000, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

you'd be surprised. The body is almost exactly the same size, you get about a foot more usable length in the back, and that's partly 'cos the seats are further forward and partly 'cos the disco bonnet is a bit longer. To get serious extra space, you'd be looking at a 130.

The disco has more overhang front and rear, but park 'em side by side and there are only a few inches difference. and the 110 rear door is not so convenient.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 05 Dec 2003 00:13:41 +0000, Mother enlightened us thusly:

now if ever there was a candidate for rear-wheel steering, that's it. I'd never get that around the route I do for the school run.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks to all

Your comments makes my decision easier, although I dont think that there is much to think about...

I´ve made up my mind last night, I asked my Wife her opinion she said : I think that we must buy the car, because you want it..

pics of my range rover can be found from my web page:

click on the link kuvia

Its all in finnish sorry.

Reply to
Jani

Doesn't this imply you normally put the dog in the roofbox?

Reply to
David French

In Iceland we certainly found you could swallow a LOT of kit in a 110. Even though they are about the same loa, with 7 people in the Disco there wasn't a great deal of room for kit except on the roof. With 7 people in a 110 CSW you could still get a huge wodge of kit in - in the back, under the seats, in the cubby boxes, etc. Plus the roof racks are a lot bigger, even compared to a full length Disco rack. Or you could get 11 people in a 110, although ours weren't configured for that.

The trade off is that passengers in a Disco have a fair bit of room (even in the rear 2 seats, comparatively). Passengers in a 110 are wedged in.

David

Reply to
David French

155 inch wheelbase - not any longger than a minibus I guess but nearly 4 foot longer than your 110. They tow a tailer behind it too :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

No - my ex-wife does not come with us on holiday

(boom, boom)

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

|| two dogs will pretty much fill the boot in any case. || ||

Mine did this once, but not in the way you think.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

|| || I´ve made up my mind last night, I asked my Wife her opinion she said ||| I think that we must buy the car, because you want it.. ||

Can you get her to talk to mine?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Our cat had a damn good try too.

Reply to
David French

All agreed, but those extra 12 inches make a big difference. It's a more useful space as well. Nothing like as comfy though. Much more useable roofrack room as well - no step in the roof.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Not yet...

Reply to