A reply from channel 5...

Regarding 5th gear

Says it all really. My original message sent is at the bottom.

Dear Rory

Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding Fifth Gear

We feel that Tom Ford was not driving in a way that caused danger to other users of the green lane where we filmed. The speed he was driving at may have seemed exaggerated by the angles and editing techniques. However, we are confident that in reality he was driving at no more than 10 ­ 15 mph; we are sure that many people enjoy driving in a similar manner on green lanes and are currently within their rights to do so. Also, as far as Five is aware, he was not doing anything illegal by driving down a green lane in wet weather conditions.

It is unlikely that we will cover the subject in greater detail in Fifth Gear though we have noted the strength of your feelings on the subject.

We have logged your comments in the Viewer Enquiries Report, which is circulated throughout the company. Also, your complaint will be noted in the quarterly report to our regulator. Commercial television is regulated in the UK by Ofcom (the Office of Communications).

Thank you for your interest in Five.

Yours sincerely

VIEWER ADVISOR

Please note that the contact details for Five Customer Services are as follows:

Telephone: 0845 7 05 05 05

Text telephone for use by deaf people: 0845 7 41 37 87

E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@five.tv

Fax: 020 7836 1286

-----Original Message----- > From: Rory Manton [mailto: snipped-for-privacy@griffon65.freeserve.co.uk] > Sent: 01 December 2004 05:18 > To: Customer Services > Subject: 5th Gear > > Ok , which pratt was it responsable or letting that idiot drive like tat > on > a greenlane? As a responsable green laner I would not have driven that > lane > because of the poor condition of it , let allown at the speed that prick > was > driving. > > What do you want, all moterised trafic banned from these rights of way? > > Because of that bit o driving you have given the bobble hat brigade more > amunition to use in there attempt to get as all banned. > > Discusting and irrisponsable driving.
Reply to
Rory Manton

In message , Rory Manton writes

Although some of my language was somewhat more diplomatic (I didn't actually use the word 'prick' :-) my sentiments were similar. Unfortunately comparing your reply to mine it appears that the major paragraph of C5's reply is now part of a form-letter ... so they don't really give individual attention just churn out the same old cobblers to everybody.

Perhaps if they wrote "as PR people we have no idea what 'tread lightly' or 'sensible speed on a muddy green lane' means" they would at least show some degree of honesty. Then realising that by causing what appeared to be unnecessary, wilful damage to the road surface they were acting illegally anyway they may actually accept some responsibility for the stupidity of their actions.

I would further suggest that Vicky Squealer-Henderson needs a good spanking for her part in that article. I know she didn't *actually* appear in it per se but she must accept some part of the collective responsibility for the programme content, so send her round and I'll save everyone else the hassle and administer her punishment myself ... :-)

Reply to
AJG

I feel that I must intervene at this point. Having studied (lusted after, in all honesty!) the aforementioned miss V-B-H for some considerable time now, I feel that any form of spanking or other summary punishment (without any trial or due justiciary process, of course!) would actually be best administered by myself. ;-)) Badger.

Reply to
Badger

As an aside, some may recall an old mate of mine who has a 'smallholding' farm in Derbyshire. He has to drive a very rough old track to get too and from his place. This is _not_ a greenlane, it's private property, although it does join a greenish lane before joining the main road.

He called in a week or so ago for his usual dose of coffee and passive smoke. Was telling me of yet another incident involving bobblehat townies asserting their right to roam on his private land. One threw a stone and broke his door mirror - costing him 80 quid to fix. He also mentioned that during the summer, some kindly soul dumped a pile of rubble on the entry to his track accessing his house - evidently to prevent vehicular access. This all rather indicates harrassment to me. He agreed, but sadly, nobody he'd reported it to was interested.

Reply to
Mother

Bugger. I blame it on Solaris as that's what I was struggling with at the time.

Obviously that should be 50mph. It's not some ultra-economical Landrover I've discovered.

Cheers, Aled.

Reply to
Aled

I wish my landy could do 50mpg!!!!!!!

Badger.

Reply to
Badger

But I consider mine economical, and I only get a snatch over 50mpg.

We are talking about oil, right?

I wish mine could do 50mph

P.

Reply to