ABS or no?

Hi I have a 96Disco 300tdi auto. I notice that the fuse holders for abs are all populated but the brake booster does not look sufficiently complex to be abs capable, and the three lines coming out of it, scoot across the firewall to a widget that sits on the front left wheel arch - again this does not look like an ABS pump.

So the killer question? Do I have ABS?

Regards Stephen

PS: I have not had cause to brake heavily to enough to lock any of the wheels, and have not had it off road enough to lift wheels while braking yet- although I would have this weekend but my wife complained that young craig's (2 weeks old) neck was not strong enough to handle the bouncing I was contemplating. A tricky bit in a game reserve that they used to try and convince potential ToeRag customers that it was a good vehicle.

Reply to
fanie

Twas Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:04:36 +0200 when "fanie" put finger to keyboard producing:

you could take a wheel off and look for abs sensors and a funny wheel thing with ridges in it that the sensor uses to detect the wheel movement and speed.

or you could go somewhere muddy or slippy and jump on the brakes, you'll feel a fast pulsing at the brake pedal when the ABS is doing it's thing.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

On or around Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:04:36 +0200, "fanie" enlightened us thusly:

very likely not. The ABS system has a modulator unit which has 8 pipes going into it (supply and return from each wheel) and an electric return pump, I think. This thing is apt to be under the bonnet somewhere, and probably hard to miss.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

There's an easy way to check, find an empty slippery road and jam your brakes hard on, You'll soon find out. The first time mine cut in it scared the life out of me!!!

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Seddon

Not familiar with the disco, but on most ( all? ) ABS systems there is a warning light that should come on when the ignition is switched on. If it doesn't, then either the bulb/fuse has gone, or there is no ABS fitted. I believe that if this light does not work then it is an MOT failure, presumably to prevent people disconnecting the light instead of fixing the ABS.

Nigel Worsley

Reply to
Nigel Worsley

The ABS modulator on the Disco sits on the front left wheel arch. That's where it is in the Disco II as well.

"1. ABS Modulator unit To provide the ABS function a Modulator is positioned within the system between the master cylinder and the calipers. On both LHD and RHD vehicles it is sited on the left inner wing [fender]. The Modulator has 8 solenoid valves, 2 for each wheel, 2 expanders and a recirculation pump. It is non serviceable."

"3. Pressure reducing valve To maintain the braking balance, pressure to the rear axle is regulated by a Pressure Reducing Valve (PRV) This PRV is of the failure bypass type, allowing full system pressure to the rear axle in the event of a front circuit failure. It is sited on the left inner wing [fender]."

If the thing on the front left wheel arch has only 4 pipes and looks cylindrical, then that is the pressure reducing valve. The Disco 1 ABS modulator is fairly bulky and has a motor sticking out one end of it.

The brake booster looks normal on a Disco with ABS (entirely different to Rangies with ABS).

Ron

"fanie"

Reply to
The Becketts

On or around Sat, 23 Oct 2004 09:07:35 +1000, "The Becketts" enlightened us thusly:

Odd that the disco I is different; I'd expect it on disco II, since it's known to be a different ABS which will work at low speeds, to operate the HDC.

the one on the Rangie is, AFAIK, similar to the one on my ford sierra, which has a pump to pressurise the brake fluid and no actual brake servo at all.

Reply to
Austin Shackles