Ali lump from tyre

Look what I just pulled out from near the center of the tread of my near rearside tyre:

Further two images as well. There is no air leak, before or after removal. As it's a bit of soft ali I doubt it has damaged the steel wires but what about the surrounding rubber and now that the steels are not encased in rubber will they rust and fail (we are still getting frosts so the roads are well salty)? If they do will it really matter as at most it's only 15 wide and the tyres are 255's. There is a bit 15 x 10mm by 4mm deep bit of a block missing where it was embedded in the tyre. Measured tread depth is 7mm.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Simple.

Bin it.

Bummer all the same. I've binned 3x tyres on the Rangie so far. Two had gashes in when I got it.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

If your tread depth is 7mm, the 4mm will not have reached the steel plies.

Reply to
GbH

Probe the 'hole' with a pointed metallic object (scriber). If there no indications of metallic contact breathe a sigh of relief and move on. The loss of that amount of tread block is trivial in my view.

It's difficult to see from the photo but the striations look more like a thread form. Is the ribbed surface convex or concave? Could this be the inside of a tapped hole? If it was rubbing against the casing wires you'd expect this area to be more highly polished than the surrounding metal and I think that the markings would be less pronounced and less sharp.

Reply to
Dougal