tyre damage photo

I just got this tyre from Ebay and it's got a cut on the sidewall is this an MOT advisory/ failure ?

Simon Parker

If you can't see the tread & it doesn't bulge then no.
But you're going to end up checking it all the time.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

From past experience probably not a fail but i would be looking to replace it soon.

MattF

Reply to
MattF

OK thanks, I can't see any threads but it's not good really is it !

Also is it common for tyre dealers to state the max. depth of tread as well ? These were advertised as 5-6mm but I measure only 3mm on the edge of one of them :( ( measured 25mm from edge so it's within the middle 3/4 )

Reply to
Simon Parker

OK thanks, I can't see any threads but it's not good really is it !

Also is it common for tyre dealers to state the max. depth of tread as well ? These were advertised as 5-6mm but I measure only 3mm on the edge of one of them :( ( measured 25mm from edge so it's within the middle 3/4 )

What they have sold you is a tyre that is near the end of its legal life, personally i wouldnt use it.

MattF

Reply to
MattF

Looking at the type of damage, I'd say it's been kerbed on a sharp edge or hit a sharp stone at speed, which may have weakened the tyre structure. It may not fail an MOT, but I'd not put it on any vehicle I owned.

Reply to
John Williamson

Thanks for the opinions, I am not happy about this however the seller insists that this is cosmetic damage. He's also offering a full refund so what I'm going to do is get the opinion of a tyre fitter before deciding if to return it.

Cheers !

Simon

Reply to
mr p

Thanks for the opinions, I am not happy about this however the seller insists that this is cosmetic damage. He's also offering a full refund so what I'm going to do is get the opinion of a tyre fitter before deciding if to return it

AIUI, if the carsass or plies are exposed by cracking or damage it's an MOT failure. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Yes

Reply to
johannes

Yes, it's a fail and you could get fined with penalty points.

Reply to
johannes

What's it fail on?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

It looks cosmetic to me. It clearly doesn't go right through the tyre wall or even right through the rubber covering the carcass. It's just a scrape from the sharp edge of a kerb or similar. Nothing to worry about.

Fit it and stop faffing.

Reply to
Dave Baker

If the tyre is safe and legal I wonder why someone took it off.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Wrote the rest of the car off, changed a pair or where advised to replace it by a tyre fitter paid on commission?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Agreed. The outer tear is the only thing that you can see but whatever the impact was that did this may have also severly damaged the structural integrity of the tyre. I wouldn't use it. It might run for ages at low speeds and low loads. Then one day at high speed, loaded in a steep curve, it blows. Then what are you going to think about the few quid you saved?

Reply to
krak

.

the garage fitted it and said it was fine, IMHO and considering the cost savings then if it's legal for the MOT then it's probably pretty safe to use. I bet I'm still more likely to get steam rolled by a 4x4 than have a problem with the tyre, they can't seem to see MX5's behind them !

I'll just have to remember to keep an eye on it I guess.

Reply to
mr p

With it being fitted on a high performance car, which is intended to be used at high speed in a vigorous manner, I sincerely hope that's all you need to do.

I'm now even more convinced that fitting it was a very bad idea. On a Lada that's only used round town, maybe......

Reply to
John Williamson