Anyone used TOMTOM GPS Satnav?

Looks good, just wondered if any of you chaps have used it or have anything to say?

Ta

Nige

Reply to
Nige

Not used Tomtom but have used the BMW Professional system for about 6 years and wouldn't be without it. The Tomtom seems to use a card which they supply whereas ours uses DVD now (prev Cd-rom system had UK and Major roads of Europe) so has all the roads of Europe on one disc. How often do they update the card and how much is it? Doesn't seem that you can download or use maps from the net yourself which would be a problem if you wanted to go off-road. Could use a GPS Handheld for that like the walker use, would it be more expensive?

Reply to
Bob Hobden

You do download from the net I believe & there is a new version with all the gatso cameras on it. It gives you 100m warning of the pesky money makers

The CF (or SD) card is just a medium to get the info on the unit I believe as it comes with a reader & USB lead?

I am probably wrong!

Nige

Reply to
Nige

I used one with a tungsten palm - and it's great (athough sometimes you have to "interpret" what it says - but the map display normally sorts out any verbal instruction problems

Go buy it

Reply to
john

Consider it sold!

Nige

Reply to
Nige

It's a great system, with a decent PocketPC you could also use Memory-Map for the off road bits, 1:50000 and 1:25000 OS maps etc. Visit us for reviews and much more.

Series 1 and Disco Owner.

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPS

The Maps are updated when the software is updated which ocurrs approximatley every year. A registered owner would pay less than £50 for the updated app and maps which is a whole lot less than a DVD will cost you!

There are many advantages to a PocketPC system, full 7 digit UK PostCode lookup using a free plug-in for TomTom, our Safety Camera POI Database, the ability to use OS map systems such as Memory-Map on the same hardware and when you change vehicles you can take it with you :)

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPS

Nige

I have it on a Dell Axim pda and its probably the best of the navigation systems. They do a self contained version now called TomTom Go. Generally very good at directions, easy to use and you can suppliment it with software to add speed camera locations. The latest version has some minor niggles like no M6 Toll road and other stuff done in the last year may be missing. No good if you want it for laning etc, not what it's designed for.

For the best reviews and advice on this go to

Sean

73FL74 101gs 1984 110 2.5N/A Medway Military Vehicle Group
Sean Ryan

The 2210 is blue tooth, get yourself a tomtom sat receiver or indeed any blue tooth bit of kit and you wont have any cables. I use it and dont have any problems, even trying to foooooool the system by making deliberate miss turns. You dont even need a cradle, go to the "Pound Shop", buy a large pad holder with sucker type for a quid, bin the pad, cut a slot in the bottom for the PDA charger and a couple of juniors elastic hair bands to hold the PDA in. Job done and only one cable. d:-)

Reply to
Dave Piggin

"Dave Piggin" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk...

Manchester.

I do have a bluetooth Satellite antenna, but I still need some AC power...

-- Henry!

-- "Pleasure in a thing of beauty is the essence of a good life." Zino Davidoff

Reply to
Henry!