Autobox in Disco1 or RRC tdi

Now that it looks like I'll never see my defender again I've started looking for a replacement, and given that I'll have plenty of time before the bl@@dy insurance pays up thought I'd ask the group for a bit of advice.

I'm looking at either a Disco1 or RRC tdi (can't afford to run a petrol!) and I've seen a few advertised with auto boxes...............but I don't know how good a box these are !

As well as the daily commute I'll be doing some greenlaning and RTV events and was wondering how easy the auto box is to live with as I've never owned an auto?

Thanks for your views,

Gav.

Reply to
Embo

On or around 21 Nov 2006 03:41:21 -0800, "Embo" enlightened us thusly:

The box provided it's serviced correctly is as tough as old boots...

however, then general comments about TDi autos are that they're slow and heavy on fuel compared to the manual kind.

300TDi here, 95M manual, if you want. It's about to go on fleabay... I've just been washing it and cleaning up the interior...

email me for more details if you want.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I bought a manual Disco 1 specifically because I'd had trouble with auto's while offroading before - my (admittedly inherently weak) Pajero used to terrify me on steep declines offroad because there is no engine braking so you have to brake, leading to slipping, where the manual vehicles went down perfectly without touching any pedals.

As it happens, the Disco is now up for sale anyway, but thats a completely different issue and not related to its box. Given the choice, I'd always go manual

Reply to
Si Cottick

On or around Tue, 21 Nov 2006 13:38:49 GMT, Si Cottick enlightened us thusly:

You do need a different technique to drive autos off-road - however, since you only have 2 pedals it's possible to balance power against brakes in a way that's at the least difficult in a manual.

One thing to watch out for is the engine stop effect. If something happens to stop the engine while you're descending (in low-1 say) then it'll carry on having engine braking until the revs drop below the magic number for the torque converter, whereupon the 'box will drop into neutral.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin,

Thanks for that, how much are you looking for, and where are you?

Gavin.

Reply to
Embo

On or around 21 Nov 2006 09:17:10 -0800, "Embo" enlightened us thusly:

taken to email, hope yours works!

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Embo uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Local chap had his 110 nicked a short while ago, it was a company vehicle (he owns the firm and has a fleet of landies). His insurance were just about to pay out a rather lower offer than he had hoped for six weeks after the theft.

It turned up when some kind soul realised that it had been on the same carpark for nearly all of the six weeks, less all the plumbing kit and tools that were nicked with it.

Normally if cars are left outside peoples houses they are quicker on the ball but as this was a Rugby club car park it took a little longer. I guess I'm trying to say it could be a while yet before the insurance cough up for obvious reasons.

Personally I'd steer clear of an Auto diesel, you won't get much more to the gallon than a Petrol Manual and you pay more at the pump for the diesel.... certainly worth doing the maths. Diesels also cost more initially. Main reason for me though is I tow and a Diesel auto isn't going to set the world on fire with what I tow.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Lee_D uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Should add I'm a BIG fan of the V8 auto for towing (on LPG) it's just the Diseasels don't seem so clever with an auto.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

|| it's || just the Diseasels don't seem so clever with an auto.

That's been my experience - even the Td5 struggles to tow respectably with an autobox. Now, where's that tuning chip catalogue?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

It's just a straightforward shortage of horses in my view. Go from petrol to diesel and throw away at least one third of the horsepower and the result is inevitable. If you're not in a hurry the auto tows well but it can't be described as quick - and the 'fun' that you can have with the petrol just isn't there.

Reply to
Dougal