Modifying to a different gearbox.

I'm intending as a winter project looking at fitting a more modern auto to my SD1. The box I'd really like to use was never fitted to a Rover V-8, so the correct version simply doesn't exist. And to add to the problems has an integral bellhousing. I'm pretty sure I can overcome all the other problems but wonder how to go about the most basic one of fitting it to the engine so the drive is central to the crank. I've read of using an adaptor plate between engine and box but wonder how you get away with spacing it off the engine by the thickness of that plate - spacing the torque convertor by the same amount off the 'flywheel'? That doesn't sound good practice to me. I've also got a spare engine which I'll be overhauling at the same time so have a pattern for fitting the new box to.

I'm wondering about getting a similar box that does fit the V-8 and cutting off the front of the bellhousing - and then having that machined true. Same on the wanted box then having the two argon arc welded. Secondhand boxes with no warranty of the types I'd need are cheap as chips off Ebay so it wouldn't be a disaster to ruin them.

Discuss. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Someone in one of the comics did something along those lines - hacked both bellhousings up and then welded them back together, so it's doable...

Reply to
Doki

the normal way is an adaptor plate plus a spacer between crank and ring gear carrier

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Dave Plowman (News), managed to produce the following words of wisdom

You could probably get a ZF 4HP22 ? to fit. Range Rovers had them, and I suspect the BMW 5 series one would be ideal for an SD1.

Reply to
Pikey Pete

You have way to much spare time and are slightly nut's!

Reply to
Fred

In article , Fred

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes it can be done quite easily - but you need to add a tail section from another box to the Rangie one which has the transfer box on the end. There is the correct complete box around - was fitted to ambulances etc so rather rare.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indeed. That was in the article I read about fitting an Asin Warner from a Senator. But I somehow think it a bit of a bodge.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It is only about 10mm, not really a problem, far more difficult to accurately cut and shut two bell housings (next to impossible without some very fancy gear)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Does it not require fancy gear to get the gearbox centered on the crank when using the adaptor plate method?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

NOt if you use the right adaptor plate. Laser Cut Steels rather cheap nowadays.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

by using a plate you know it is square on at least, the alignment up/down/left/right is the only difficulty. It must be possible to establish how far from the sides the centres of crank and TC are, then bob is the aunt.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

=================================== Do you know of company that will do a one-off job? I would like such a plate cut for another very different use.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Most of the subcontract firms will do you a one off. Drawing it up often= =

costs more than cutting it, so you 'll want to do that yourself. Where i= n =

the UK?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

================================== Wolverhampton / West Midlands

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I doubt if that knowledge will help you to nail an auto box in you SD1

Reply to
Fred

Nor will your peals of wisdom. Others have at least given some useful suggestions.

Why do you read this group if you're not interested in such things?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ohh I'm interested in such things and know from experience that what you want to do is a dopey idea, you may be able to buy a cheap S/H gearbox but the cost involved in making it work would not be viable. Unless you could buy an off the shelf conversion kit it just won't happen, so there, I have discussed it !

Maybe I should have added LOL or a smiley to my original comment instead of the superfluous apostrophe ;-)

Reply to
Fred

Then give me your experience. That's what I'm asking for. What gearbox did you try and fit to which engine and how did it go wrong? Others have managed it.

Eh? I've overhauled dozens of autos. And know the costs involved.

'It' will certainly happen although I'm not yet decided on the exact method and box.

Might be better if you actually knew me and knew what I'm capable of. I'm not some dreaming schoolboy without two pennies to rub together.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have never tried to fit a different box to an engine but I can have a stab at the problems, like fitting the torque converter to the backing plate and making sure it's central and balanced and is the correct distance into the gearbox. Things like the starter motor lining up with the ring gear if you have to move the backing plate and what ever bell housing you use not fouling the bulkhead and then the g/box not fouling something underneath and maintaining a sensible line in relation to the propshaft. Then you have to cut and shut and balance the prop ,alter the Speedo drive and hope it agrees with the Speedo , mounting the gear selector inside of the car without making a Frankenstein job. The list is endless and begs the question why bother? and that still leaves your original question of how you align and weld two bell housing together that will handle the torque of a v8? the chances of cutting of two different bellhousings and the parts actually touching let alone being close enough to maintain any strength is 0 . ( I must confess to having consumed some beer so I am probably talking bollocks, but I have never been that pissed that i would ever consider doing what you are thinking about )

I was not refering to the cost of overhauling the box, I was talking about the cost of the conversion

I refer you to my original comment

I don't know *you* but I have read a lot of your posts, I know you know about Auto boxes and I never assumed you were skint either.

Reply to
Fred