Back for a flying visit...

I've bought a ZF 4HP22 auto from a 3.9 Range Rover with the intention of fitting it to my SD1 Rover. (I've got a suitable tailshaft). It came complete with transfer box which of course I don't need. Do these fail - ie has it any value on its own? If it has - and anyone wants it - make me an offer. I'm in Balham, South London.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Dave Plowman (News), managed to produce the following words of wisdom

I need a ZF 4HP22 auto box though... mine got smithereened by the turbo :-(

Reply to
Pikey Pete

Same box in the E32 7 series BMW (1988 to 1995 IMSMC)

Reply to
SteveG

Jaguars too.

They did make the correct RWD version for me, fitted to V-8 Ambulances and some Sherpa vans - police etc. But I've given up looking for one after a couple of years so have to cobble one together.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If it has Borg Warner transfer box, with the viscous coupling , then it certainly does have a value, as the viscous couplings are horribly expensive to have reconditioned. It should fetch a few tens of pounds on ebay, if you can be sure it's not seized.

Reply to
Autolycus

On or around Mon, 24 Sep 2007 19:32:38 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)" enlightened us thusly:

aha. someone found something apposite the other day:

Austin Shackles

How does one tell if it's the desirable one? It was bought as all good. Dunno if it can be easily checked out of the vehicle.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Have a look at the pictures on Ashcroft's site:

They seem to have a good reputation, and can also do clever things like altering the speed at which the torque converter locks up.

Viscous couplings aren't easy to check on the floor: they take a lot of torque to move even very slowly.

Reply to
Autolycus

Very expensive for what they do.

Easy to do as well, just change the spring in the valve block for one from the model of choice, after seeing what cars lock up at what roadspeed. For an SD1, I'd suggest the early 3.5 rangerover 4-speed auto (boxes with a part number lower than 400), this'll give a lockup at around 45mph.

Easier to take the coupling out and test in a suitably protected vice with a decent sized torque-wrench, or with transfer box still connected to gearbox, apply handbrake then use torque wrench on front output flange nut. Badger

Reply to
Badger

On or around Mon, 24 Sep 2007 23:37:21 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)" enlightened us thusly:

It's 2" shorter between flanges than an LT230...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Which I guess is handy if you have an LT230 kicking around !

:-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Heh heh. It would be easy to measure this one, though. Looks like I'll just stick it on Ebay.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On or around Tue, 25 Sep 2007 14:29:58 +0100, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

seriously though:

the LT230 has linkage to engage/disengage the difflock, the BW one has a high-low lever which only goes backwards and forwards.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

There's a rod operated lever mounted on a bracket fixed to the bolts which hold the two boxes together - the rod going to the transfer box. I'd say that could only work backwards and forwards.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just to mention it's on Ebay and ends today. At the moment it's at 99p so could be a bargain for someone.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)