rather OT - little 'mogs

There's an unemployed Unimog at one of the local garages. I'm wondering whether to see if he'll swap it for the 110...

however, I know little of small mogs. I imagine this one is a 404, it's the old-type one with the rounded cab. What sort of weight are they?

The idea would be to build a suitable body for it to make it into a cruising-around-truck, with basic motor-caravan attributes combined with enough seats at the front to carry passengers. Seats, I have.

As such, I could licence it as a motor-caravan, unless it's incredibly heavy. Do motor-caravans come under the tax-exempt thing if old enough?

other thoughts occur, like spares availability, but I exepct they can be found.

'course, he might not be interested. but there's nowt to lose by asking.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Some UK classifieds on;

From other price searches I've done, the 404/406 type mogs are worth about £4,000 in good condition.

There's a good amount of support for them in the UK from what I've seen, but I've got no direct experience, they're too big for my liking but otherwise I'd love one.

Practical road speed is about 40MPH on the 404/406 type ones apparently, and they're not at all comfortable, fuel economic or even practical, one owner who wanted to bring back a load of compost bags from a garden store used his mog for the first load then hired a van. Too hard to load, can't carry enough, too expensive to run, too nasty to drive etc.

I'd still love one though ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

We had a camper when I was a kid. Slow but steady. You could get seasick in the back. Hard to get stuck, even harder to extricate if you do. You will want a diesel of course.

Reply to
madhatchetman

On or around Mon, 24 Sep 2007 13:58:09 -0700, madhatchetman enlightened us thusly:

or LPG...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Have you refettled the 110 then? I thought it was still a slippers and pipe dream Landie.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Isn't LPG going the way of petrol? I thought that they were discounting the tax on it until lots of people are using it, then whack it back up to 300% ( just a bit every year)

Reply to
madhatchetman

Well that's what they did with diesel isn't it? Encourage us into diesel vehicles a couple of decades ago, then wack the duty up so it is more than petrol. Typical cynical government ploy, roll on the revolution !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

On or around Tue, 25 Sep 2007 18:38:40 +0100, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

sort of. it's running and a good bit of the work for the MOT is done. still waiting for Britprat to send em a crossmember. Once that's done, it should be MOTable and back on the road.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Andrew Mawson uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Except there have been people running Landies on LPG since I literally were a lad. No doubt they will bump it up but with it getting the green vote it'll be less PC to ramp it up like they did Diesel.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D