Ball Joint replacement

I have a S3 '72 109 and need to replace all six Ball joints. I have a parts book and workshop manual, but am unsure of how many of each.

The parts book lists 1 ton and v8 but not 109 2.25 which I think is a typo.

The part numbers I think I need are 608464 and 320902.

Also are Paddocks and John Craddocks the same quality and all use Britpart ?

Thanks

Paul

Reply to
Megalowmania

I think both paddocks and craddocks use britpart for most unless you ask for genuine.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

For a standard Series III you need six joints; three right hand thread and three left hand thread. I think Paddocks do a deal on a set of six for somewhere around £25. Getting at the longitudinal steering rod in the engine bay (steering box to relay) to release the old joints might prove to be a bit of a sod.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Don't ignore your local motor factors (e.g Partco)if you have one handy

- you may be pleasantly surprised by their prices. To ask costs nothing.

It's well worth cultivating a relationship with such people if only to provide an alternative to Hal..rds.

Reply to
Dougal

And the prize for understatement of the year goes to Steve - they can be an absolute bastard to do - invest in a really good tie-rod end puller before you start.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Tue, 11 Jan 2005 09:24:38 +1300, EMB enlightened us thusly:

rebuilding the drop arm joint on the disco/RR/defenders with the rebuildable drop arm joint can be fun, too. Last one I did I had to heat the top half shell enough to soften it and then cut through it with a hacksaw to get the bastard out.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks for all the replies, now I know how many are left and how many are right. I will definately phone the local Partco, after all, they may do OEM or QH and not Britpart.

Has any one else tried the brake adjuster kit from Britpart ? Bloody useless piece of scrap.

Thanks again,

Paul

Reply to
Megalowmania

Are there actually any differences between the Pre and Post 74 ball joints. Paddock only list post 74 on the website. RTC 1808 and RTC 1809 where the pats manual says it should be the 608464 and 320902.

Thanks

Paul

Reply to
Megalowmania

There are indeed changes from around 1974 on, and it is imperitive that you get the right ones - a friend was killed by a drag link failure.

Post 74 the tube and track rod/drag link are threaded right to the end, before that they had a shoulder about an inch and a half long on the rod with an appropriate length of unthreaded tub in the rod. The two types MUST NOT BE MIXED or the results may well be fatal.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I'll take heed. Thanks for that Richard.

Paul

Reply to
Megalowmania