Ball joint replacement 89 5.0 LX

I have an 89 5.0 just put it through inspection and was told it needed a new front lower ball joint. I went to my haynes book it says I have to change the lower control arm that the ball joint cant be changed alone. I called the local auto parts store they sell just the ball joints and tell me that you dont have to change the control arm. So my question who is right can I change the ball joint and if so are they bolted or riveted in? thanks for the help Jerry

Reply to
bigred21001

I've never looked at an '89's lower ball joint, but my guess is it is of the pressed in variety. The problem is, to press them in and out you might have to remove the control arm anyway.

There is a tool for this, it's like a big C clamp of sorts with the proper attachments for different size ball joints. Press the old one out and the new one in. I did this on my beater car a couple years ago and it was a pain because I couldn't get clearance for the tool. Eventually I got enough stuff out of the way and found the right angle and got it without pulling the control arm. Of course it was a fwd car and I didn't pull a lot out. A mustang may not have this problem and just removing the whole front spindle/hub and brake assembly should give enough space.

Reply to
Brent P

Brent is right, the ball joints are pressed in. I did mine a number of years ago. The control arms are pretty easy to remove/install, so I took mine to a shop with a press and had it done for a few bucks.

Reply to
Blue Gator