battery in freelander

i have a 2002 freelancer use 40 miles per week

just went to start and nothing no lights on dash no radio or anything battery is 6 months old and is dead

with a jump produces lights dash instruments radio but not enough to turn over engine

just metal click noise

tried for 10 minutes

any advice

did not leave the lights on

drew

Reply to
Drew

Batteries can just go open-circuit for no readily apparent reason, it's happened to me twice, nothing to do with the car, just sod's law!

Lug the battery down to a garage and ask them to test it, or if you have a spare, stick that in and see if the car's OK. If the battery tests as stuffed or the car's fine with a different battery then get a new battery, if the battery tests as fine or the car is no different with a different battery then the problem's elsewhere.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

thanks for reply

batt replacement is first option tommorow morning it is a pain in the arse as i am in NYC

not a lot of garages around

i thought there may be a red flag thing if its 2 batts in 6 months

again thanks and who the f*ck is this guy sod?

drew

Reply to
Drew

Apparently not, according to the chaps who fixed my car. It's a red flag if the first time it happens is outside a bodybuilding gym and the second place it happens is at a gay pick-up spot, as was the case with me, but it's not what it appears, honest!!

He's a mate of a chap called Murphy, you don't want to get closely acquainted.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Not likely to be an O/C since a jump doesn't work.

and Sod was Murphy's Great Grandad!

Reply to
GbH

Possibly, although don't want to be too hasty as there's plenty of reasons why a jump start won't work

Well I hope they don't breed any more like them!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Goddam? You been watching a bit too much Starsky and Hutch?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Or Pulp Fiction YTC!!

Nige

Nige

Nige

Reply to
Nige

LMAO!

So you got off the Outraging Public Decency charge then?

;P

Reply to
Allen

Well, the gym was just there, the gay pick-up spot was a national trust car park by day (when I broke down) but a hedonist's paradise by night (which it was by the time the AA turned up).

I sold that car, as I was worried about what it was trying to do to me.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

An internal short or a completely flat battery often means that a jump will not work as it pulls down the available voltage. As I have done more than a few jump starts over the years may I suggest you follow this method. Connect the jump leads +ve to +ve, and neg on the charged battery to the engine block.Run the car with the charged battery for several minutes above a fast tick over speed -typically around 2500 rpm is fine ( obviously if you are using a slave battery this does not apply ) before you attempt to start. disconnect the negative first when the car is running to avoid the possibility of a spark near the battery.

we had a fleet with the mk2 Ford Transits after a bank holiday it was invariably time to get out the jump leads as batteries would be flat. Derek

Reply to
Derek

I don't remember asking you a goddam thing....

Reply to
Nige

You flock of seagulls, you know why we are here?

Reply to
Stuart