Battery Terminals

This morning the Defender was a no-start (flat battery?). I didn't have time to look closely so checked it out when I got home.

What I found was amazing. The positive battery clamp had a lot of corrosion on it (haven't checked them for a while obviously). But the bolt through the clamp had apparently broken because the whole thing was loose. When I pulled the bolt out, I found it had melted when it tried to conduct the sort of current required for cold-cranking.

It's something that I will be checking a lot more often!

Regards Scott Forbes

Reply to
Scott

You should cover the terminals in grease/vaseline after tightening to prevent this happening again. It's part of the standard service schedule.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

I stopped doing this on Grumble when I moved the batteries 'inside' (though still vented).

As I was linking 2 Optima Yellowtops I used one of the gold plated double terminal jobbies from Maplin (yes, gold plated - Paul!). I've noticed no marking at all in the couple of years they've been on. The 'normal' terminals on the Redtop are starting to show a little discolouration.

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

in article 20031106120305864+ snipped-for-privacy@news.demon.co.uk, Dave White at davew snipped-for-privacy@yorkshireoffroadclub.net wrote on 6/11/03 12:03:

Reply to
Rory Manton

Maybe they discovered that the vaseline was being used for illicit purposes on those long cold nights in the beacons!!

Reply to
SimonJ

in article boe4ks$82m$ snipped-for-privacy@titan.btinternet.com, SimonJ at snipped-for-privacy@mine.net wrote on

6/11/03 18:41:

Never been to the beacons!

Reply to
Rory Manton

No, Vaseline is not a good idea, it rots rubber. KY does not.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

last time I disconnected the terminals from my seriesIII battery, I sprayed them with WD40... should work for some time, I hope

Tiago C.

Reply to
kl0ne