Bent Track Rod.

Hi,

Iv'e bent my 90s track rod upwards into the diff while playing off road, Whats the best way to straighten it, I don't want the hassle of buying a new one and setting it up (i would not know how anyway)

any tips?

colin

Reply to
cg

Buy a new one. It'll need the tracking doing after it's straightened anyway and it's not worth taking risks with essential stuff like steering.

Reply to
EMB

cg waffled thusly

They're easy enough to straighten out at home in a bench vice ... but they _will_ bend more easily next time out. Indeed, we did one, to 'almost straight enough' standards with a hefty brick when we were caught out green-laning [1] .. ;)

Personally, once I've bent one, I'd replace it with a new one ASAP, but a re-bent straight one is fine until you can get a tuit round enough.

Might be worth investing in some under-body protection.

[1] Not my vehicle, a friends, who'd decided to check his articulation ... high tyre slid off the rock the wrong way .. ;)
Reply to
Paul - xxx

In news: snipped-for-privacy@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com, cg wibbled :

Don't bother, they're made from liquorice and will bend again as soon as you strain it any. At least get a new one, preferably after market stengthened variety.

Reply to
GbH

Take it off and put it in a vice - they are very easy to straighten. However, once the bent they loose their "tubular" strength and will bend more easily in future.

Fitting a :

QEU101060 Track Rod Protector Bracket - Front Diff - Defender

from a 110 is the easiest and cheapest (£10.57) way of minimising the risk of bending - its a U-shaped bracket that bolts to the bottom of the diff and restricts up, down and forward bending.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Thanks All, a new Trackrod is on its way.

cheers

colin

Reply to
cg

Bit of Plastique wrapped round it light it and when soft bend straight !

( care of Iraqui desert !!! )

Reply to
Hirsty's

On or around Thu, 5 Apr 2007 12:07:35 +0100, "Paul - xxx" enlightened us thusly:

I found it easier to heat it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Bin it! it'll only bend again as weakened, standard ones are rather puny. if not 100% straightened it will lead to accelerated tyre wear (toe out) and 'different' handling.

Got one of these on mine:

with a Sumo bar. problem solved! To roughly set wheel alignment, run a bit of string tight round all four wheels, in line with half way up the tyres (halfshaft height) and look for the gap at the rear of the front tyres, try abt 5mm total toe out. (roughly speaking, more toe in is twitchy quicker steering response, toe out is slower, safer steering response)

Tom

Reply to
Tom Gilmour

On or around Sat, 7 Apr 2007 01:36:40 +0100, "Tom Gilmour" enlightened us thusly:

IME, all the "classic" type landies run best set parallel. I wouldn't toe them out.

IME2: toe in makes for stiff feeling steering and a tendency to tighten the line in corners when the load goes onto the outside wheel. toe out makes for very light, twitchy running when going straight and slow-feeling steering in corners.

Reply to
Austin Shackles