MOT test and track rod end

Transit VAN and MOT track rod ends.

Recently I took my van (transit luton) in for MOT. I was amazed in my local area the few places I could actual take this as it won't fit in most garages and more commercial places only deal with plated vehicles. Anyway.

I took it to local council place and it failed on the offside track rod end plus a few other fairly minor bits which I corrected.

The track rod in question was indeed faulty and the rubber boot had separated. I took a careful look at the nearside track rod end and all I could see on this one was a small nick in the rubber nothing so that grease could come out and I moved the track rod end this way and that. It looked in good condition to me.

Unfortunately I couldn't take it back for retest at the same place but I had to take it to another place for test.

They promptly failed it on the nearside track rod end. Not wanting to mess about I simply said to replace it.

When I arrived to collect it I asked what was wrong with the track rod and they said it was completely shot.

Now I might not be a professional mechanic but there seems to be too extremes here. Naturally I can't inspect the previous part as removing it destroys it.

Was there something I was missing in looking at it? Or was I simply been taken for a ride and labour and retest fee (not free for these vehicles). Let me know if there is one in East Yorkshire which doesn't charge a retest fee when they do the work!

I for one will be standing over the MOT tester next time I have an MOT and wanting him to explain each fault he finds.

Reply to
david.cawkwell

Just looking at a track rod end doesn't tell you much about the condition off it. During a test, the main thing you're looking for is play in the track rod end, which is done by having someone gently rock the steering from side to side, while the tester checks the track rod ends. Any play will be immediatly obvious. Simply shaking the track-rod end by hand might not show this play, as they are spring loaded.

As for finding a testing stations. Transit luton vans normally have a Gross Vehicle Weight off 3500kg, which means they're a Class VII (7). Most testing stations are only Class V (5) due to the higher rated equipment and larger test area required for Class VII testing.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

removing a track rod end should not damage it in any way, so you could inspect it, but assessing its wear is difficult off the vehicle.

MoT assessment of wear is down to the tester involved, there are no hard and fast rules.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I've broken the track rod end to steering arm connection (where the rubber boot is) on countless vehicles without destroying it. Of course, if you know it's scrap, you don't have to be careful. But it's certainly possible with the correct puller.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Track rod end wear is easily tested by levering down with a bar. Any play is a failure. They're cheap, (well, used to be) and quick and easy to replace. Garage monkeys often c*ck it up by not counting the number of turns on the thread and you get the vehicle back with the steering wheel skewed. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

The message from "davek" contains these words:

And then they try to charge you for putting it right, saying it must have been faulty all along and anyway your tracking needed doing.

Reply to
Guy King

Boro Tyres in Bridlington MOT vans AFAIK.

Reply to
Conor

Are there differences in the actual test, i.e. what is tested and what standards are applied, between class 4 and 7?

AJH

Reply to
sylva