Beware cheap coils!

Any of you have a nice new Paddock ignition coil sitting patiently in its box, waiting for the call to relieve some tired old Lucas one?

Don't rely on it. I bought three a few weeks ago, admittedly for a non-Landy application, but a primitive car nonetheless. Fitted one today, and it lasted 10 miles before the first signs of trouble, then another 5 before complete failure to proceed. It was far too hot to touch. Fitted one of the others, and it got me home - just.

Checked the primary resistance - around 1.6 ohms. Fine for use with a ballast resistor, but half what it should be for a straight 12v system.

Part number PRC9858, no maker's name, plain white box.

Moral: hang on to your good old Lucas coil. Current Lucas coils could be made anywhere, and the tech support of the firm who now label them are useless. If you've got a new one of any nominal make, get that multimeter out. If it's less than 3.2 ohms, and you have a standard system, have your bus fare ready - you'll need it.

I'll be having a chat to Paddock.

Reply to
Kevin Poole

Just curious, what did you want three for?......... A Wartburg, Saab or similar?

Reply to
Oily

Two cars. No, that still sounds odd. One car has two coils mounted on the bulkhead, the idea being that one is there as a spare, with the official advice being to swap the leads between the two every year.

The other car only has one, but I use it as a wedding car, so it really does need to be reliable.

I'll be at Wollaton park autojumble tomorrow looking for NOS Lucas or Delco Remy.

Reply to
Kevin Poole

In message , Kevin Poole writes

I thought "straight 12V" systems went out years ago - or have they come back? Ballast resistors were replaced by an in-line resistive lead, so full 12v was only applied when starting, thereafter the coil ran at about 9v. I am going back to my Renault 12 days but you do mention a "primitive" application.

Reply to
hugh

I thought you measure the ohms and pick a ballast resistor to match to give the right voltage for the coil, but I've only got experience of about 3 or so coil-equipped vehicles! The pinz uses a 12v coil in a

24v system, on startup it shorts out the balance resistor to put 24v across the coil then once you take your finger off the start button, the ballast resistor brings it back down to about 12v.

We had a problem with a friend's Volvo C303, his new coil burned out in a year, looks like he'd been putting too much welly through it due to the wrong ballast resistor.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Yes - straight 12v systems have gone out of use, but all Series Land Rovers (at least the 12v ones) use 12v coils, with no ballast resistor or resistance lead. AFAIK ballast resistors made their entry in the sixties, but weren't universal till the mid-70s.

Reply to
Kevin Poole

On or around Fri, 29 May 2009 21:42:05 +0100, Kevin Poole enlightened us thusly:

Assume that is the correct part number for a non-ballast, non-electronic coil?

The electronic ones have a different resistance, on V8 rangies, for example.

Now, to be fair, I've never had problems with Paddock replacing duff kit.

And they sent me an air spring minus the 2 clips that are meant to be in the box, I phoned them friday morning and said "can't see the clips anywhere", and the bloke said OK I'll send you 2 more. I asked if they could get 'em here by today, as I needed to fix the motor, and lo, this morning in the post was an envelope with 2 clips in. nice one.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

And in a similar vein, don't rely on your new "Lucas" rotor arm. In another primitive world we've had two out of three new arms fail straight out of the box.

Gordon.

Reply to
gbubb

Yup. Various other tables and suppliers lists I've found seem to confirm it.

Indeed. Possibly different turns ratios and inductances too?

I've always been a great fan of Paddock - their willingness to ask "do you need...?" for the odd gasket or tab washer, because they've realised what job you're doing, has always impressed me. I've emailed them about the coils, rather than wait while they found someone on the phones who knew about ohms, but no acknowledgment after 5 days has left me a touch underwhelmed.

Funny that Gordon mentioned duff rotor arms: the day before the coil saga I'd had a "failure to proceed" at the roadside due to just that, but a genuine, original Delco Remy rotor arm which tracked through the arm to the distributor shaft. Originals are completely unobtainable, and poorish repro ones are about 40 quid, but fortunately Viva or GT6 ones fit and do the job.

Reply to
Kevin Poole