air springs

Had a look at RAVE to see what sort of job replacing an air spring was...

1) use testbook to depressurise the SLS system.

arse.

is there another method? Or shall I take it to the garage and see if they can do it? I've got other vehicle maintenance to do, got some CV joints to fit on the Rangie, assuming they're the right ones.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Jack up car to take up weight off the spring & pop the air pipe off, it will hiss, but it's f*ck all.

I used a hi-lift to hold the car & a trolley jack to drop axle & raise it back up.

If it takes you more than 5 minutes you're shit :)

Don't let the axle drop out of range for the level sensors etc.

Easy job.

Reply to
Nige

On or around Thu, 28 May 2009 15:11:05 +0100, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

That sounds more like it :) Hmmm. If I park it in the working area tonight, and leave it there, it'll depressurise itself by morning :-)

yeah, it's less than a page in RAVE. It was just the possibility that it would have dodgy amounts of pressure in it.

I'd have though that if I leave the damper on, it won't be able to drop too far? ISTR the damper is the lower travel limit anyway. Assuming, of course, that the spring will come off with the damper still on.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 28 May 2009 15:11:05 +0100, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

sussed it. The problem is that it goes flat, so leave it to go flat, then jack under the tow hitch, up the body til the tyres are clear of the deck, and there's sod-all pressure in it anyway.

indeed, took about 10 minutes including getting the wheel off.

testbook, my arse.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

"Austin Shackles" wrote in message ne

Told you :) I replaced allsorts on the air systems of all my P38 & D2's without doing bugger all. I even changed the accumulator for the brakes with a spanner, i got a bit of brake fliud on me, but i did it. Gung ho style :)

Reply to
Nige

Air bag jack? Though it's not really big enough for any real use.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

A dent undoofer. :o)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

A a rectum stretcher for a horse?

Reply to
Nige

Hmm. Are you suggesting a literal interpretation of, "He has his head up a..."

The mechanics seem simple enough, if somewhat unpleasant. It's the motivation I have difficulty with (even in Gordon Brown's case).

Regards,

S.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig