Bloomin' Headlamp Clips!!!

Any advice on an easy way to get the headlamp bulb clips back on when replacing bulbs in a Rangie Classic "M" Reg'???

Took me 1.5 hours the other day to get the little b--tard back on!!!

TIA

Colin

Reply to
Colin "Jay" Jackson

"Colin "Jay" Jackson" wrote in message news:6eLmk.82621$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe20.ams...

Don't take this the wrong way but you have put the right bulb in the right way? There are lots of different fittings of bulbs. I can't recall ever having a problem with my old ones. How did you go about it?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

It's the design where the bulb (H4) has three small 'legs' which fit into three shallow recesses at the rear of the reflector. There is an 'A' shaped wire clip, the apex of which hooks over a small lip at the top of the reflector's opening and the 'legs' hold the bulb in place while the ends of the 'legs' clip, under tension, behind two small lips at the bottom of the reflector's opening.

I visited Badger a few months ago and even he had trouble replacing the bulbs - it eventually involved about two hours, a small mirror, large torch, and a lot of swearing!!!

Colin

Reply to
Colin "Jay" Jackson

"Colin "Jay" Jackson" wrote in message news:YHZmk.1$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe24.ams...

In that case then, clearly my memory has it's rose tinted glasses on. I do recall putting new lenses in and that was about a 20 minute job. Grill off, Undo lense clamp, lense out , replace. Much simpler than dislocating your wrist :-) Hope this helps.

There are only three screws holding the lense retaining ring in place. The grill it's self is held in by four body mounted spring clips on the slam pannel.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Thanks Lee,

I kinda thought it might be easier to that way. It also means I wouldn't have to take the battery out to replace the driver's side bulb.

As you will have gathered, I'm an absolute beginner with Rangies. I've done up the odd motor in the past but age and wisdom tells me to leave most things Rangie to the paid experts :-)

Thanks for the advice.

Colin

Reply to
Colin "Jay" Jackson

Ah, now this is what happened to me when I tried replacing the bulbs in my disco 300tdi. It was INCREDIBLY frustrating until I realised that the whole unit easily pops out, as it's only held on by some rubber doo-dahs.....

I did feel like a bit of a berk 'cos all it needed was a bit of oomph!

Hope this helps, should be the same on the rangie?

Ian.

Reply to
Ian Wilson

On or around Sat, 09 Aug 2008 13:08:26 +0100, Ian Wilson enlightened us thusly:

Rangie lamps are different. However, might still be easier to remove the lamp from the front than to access the back.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On my last Disco D1 type the headlamps do indeed pop out, they are held in to a ball socket type clip. The sockets are fragile as they age and the plastic tends to snap if you are unlucky. It doesn't take much, I seem to recall seeing some pop out on an unofficial when wading... maybe Bills... then again, they may have been loosened on a prior unofficial ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Ian,

Me to!! The first time I changed a bulb it took me ages, then I realised you could pull the whole unit forward and the job only took 5 minutes.

regards

Terry

Reply to
Terry