Brake springs

Hi, Just fitted new Drums and brake shoes to the rear of my 1981 series 3 SWB. Put the brake springs back in the same place they came off but when I
put the drums on the wheels wont turn.
The bottom springs are ok but I am not sure about the top spring which goes from Spring post on one shoe to the spring post on the backing plate.This leaves the other shoe loose at the top and not pushing the cylinder back in.Should the top spring fit between the top of both shoes not just one?
Cheers Adrian Ford

Yo! Check 'dis out! http://www.roversnorth.com/techtips/ttbrake.html Jon 2xS3 = lots of bits....

3
plate.This
Cheers Jon...

series
when
back
one?
brakes I have found the problem. The wheel cylinders were pushing out the shoes so the drum was too tight on the shoes.As there was no fluid in the cylinders it was the spring in the cylinder pushing out the pistons too far.First I removed the spring and every thing worked ok.
My questions are, Is it because its a cheapy cylinder from paddocks and what will happen to the wheel cylinders with no spring in them? Has anyone had any experience of this? Cheers Adrian Ford

Have you turned the adjusters back (the snaail cam) as far as they will go? It needs the springs! There are two types of cylinder (front ones and back ones) , but this won't cause this problem if they are mixed up. You're not anywhere near Surrey are you? Jon

back
the
the
had
go?
back
I have narrowed it down to the either the shoe return springs are not holding the shoes into the wheel cylinder strong enough or the wheel cylinders are faulty going to get some new ones today.. Cheers Adrian Ford

What are that part numbers of the wheel cylinders you are trying to fit, and to which vehcile?
Richard
--
www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
Running a business in a Microsoft free environment - it can be done