Starting my Defender with a handle

Hi all,

Probably been asked before so sorry if it has. I have a defender 110 and when I took off the bullbar noticed there was a hole under the radiator like my old Series 3, looked in and noticed went back to the engine where it looked like there was a bolt to lock on. Can you start a Defender then with a starting handle?

Yours

Andy

Defender 110 CSW 2.5 TDI

P.S. As I am planning on driving 10000 miles through Africa this may not be as daft a question as it first appears.

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

Your chances of hand starting any diesel engine are just about zero. The provision for a hand crank is partly a servicing aid - easier to turn the engine for setting valve clearances etc, and partly a hangover from when four cylinder petrol engine was fitted to the 90/110. JD

Reply to
JD

On or around Fri, 30 Sep 2005 09:06:56 +1000, JD enlightened us thusly:

I'm not aware of the starter-dog bolt[1] being fitted to TDis, although it's possible that it can be retro-fitted like that. The holes in the bumper etc are there as you say, because you could have a petrol engine with starting handle. I did once have a giant strating handle made up for a massey-fergy

65 tractor (more for amusement than owt else) - I could, in fact, start it when the engine was hot, but not when cold. [1] like a normal pulley bolt but with dogs on it for the starting handle to engage in.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Well, I was thinking of automotive engines - in fact I regularly start my Lister SR1 generating plant by hand (only way provided), but it is only six horsepower and has a flywheel probably heavier than a TDi engine in total. The Sabb 2G engine in my boat is 22hp and can be started by hand - if you are fit and use primers. JD

Reply to
JD

Hand-cranking a diesel? Rather you than me. A spare battery and starter motor with spare leads would be better. Don't forget the 'sniff'.

The holes are there because, I guess, it would be more trouble than it's worth to re-jig everything to not make the holes.

My 100E Prefect has a starter handle hole in the front panel but the radiator gets in the way.

Reply to
PDannyD

Our 35 4cyl had a starter handle, I never once got it started with it. My second LR 88 s3 was regularly started on a handle when I was too broke to buy a battery in the 70s.

The first place I worked had contractors with a cat d4 and standard fordson, I never did see how they started the crawler but they had converted the fordson starting handle by welding a steel wheel rim to it. This enabled one bloke with a car to start it by winding a hemp rope round the wheel and then driving away.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

The cat probably had a big flywheel and a half-compression lever, the ideal being that you open the exhaust valves with the half compression lever and then spin the flywheel up to speed with the handle and when you've got the flywheel to speed you flip the compression lever over and let the flywheel give the "bump" to the engine to start it.

From memory you didn't want to be still hand-cranking one of those when the half-compression lever was put over in case it kicked back in which case you stood a reasonable chance of losing a hand.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

On or around Sat, 01 Oct 2005 01:08:22 +0200, AJH enlightened us thusly:

The petrol LRs and tractors are easy, with the right technique. I used to start a grey fergy on the handle at about age 14.

The handle I had made for the 65 had a 12" throw and was big enough to get both hands on. Local blacksmith made it. Found out one thing, never, ever, try to hand-crank a diesel with easy-start in it. bloody near broke me wrists.

Reply to
Austin Shackles