Bull Bars legal or not?

Ok this question has very possibly been asked a couple of times. I have been told by 'friends' yes we all have them. They have told me that Bull Bars or Nudge Bars are illegal. I have asked a Policeman in the Traffic car but he could not answer the question. I have asked at a local garage who have told me it is up to your insurance company! Does anyone know without doubt what the answer is. Can I fit bull bars to my 94 disco?

Reply to
Cyberwraith

Working on "Rule of Mates Mate" here, but if you couldn't then surely all the vehicles on the road with them would fail MOT/get prohibited.

I can't see anything making nudge bars illegal, however it's up to your insurers whether they want to take the increased 3rd party risk.

Most of the bars these days are at least rounded - not like Roo Bars where the main purpose of them is to kill large vermin.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Twas Sun, 11 Apr 2004 19:11:34 +0100 when "Paul S. Brown" put finger to keyboard producing:

or ramblers.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

I presume the plastic ones are else why would they be available as an accessory.

Mind you all they do is look.

As I have just discovered its not the size of your bumper that matters but whats behind it, the chassis takes all the shock in the end.

Reply to
Larry

They are perfectly legal for you to fit to your vehicle, but the vehicle manufacturers introduced a moratorium on the steel ones a while back and will now only sell them new with plastic ones.

Reply to
Exit

They're still legal. There has been a government consultation going on about it for ages:

url:

They've still not made their minds up what to do about it. There's all sorts of issues over what constitutes an "aggressive" bull-bar (bearing in mind that a bull-bar on the front of a Defender probably doesn't make much difference).

Reply to
Steve Morgan

Why do you want to, out of interest? They don't do much useful, apart from provide a place to mount spotlights, and roof-mounting is usually better for spots.

David

Reply to
David French

On or around Sun, 11 Apr 2004 19:01:17 +0100, "Cyberwraith" enlightened us thusly:

where are you based, I'll sell you one cheap...

we took it off our disco... but only 'cos we didn't like the look of it, and weren't planning on needing it for opening gates or pushing bulls around.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I am in the lovely little market town of Atherton, in the Greater Manchester area. night night

Reply to
Cyberwraith

And the difference is. . . . . .?

Reply to
Exit

Oddly enough, they are of some use if you're a livestock farmer, and in one or two other situations.

Reply to
David G. Bell

I am more than happy to facilitate the export of alloy bull/roo bars from Australia (at a suitable commission of course) to the UK.

I can offer new, previously loved and of course used (with appropriate hair and other animal parts still attached to give that Series look). Please specify whether you want Australian native animal parts or imported animals like sheep/cattle/horses/feral cats.

Reply to
Roger Martin

On or around Sun, 11 Apr 2004 22:20:07 +0100, "Larry" enlightened us thusly:

also it'll damage the wings and lamps. But it takes a considerably harder clout to do that.

no, but it protects bits that the bumper doesn't reach.

in the case of the disco, it's mounted on the bumper mountings, so if you hit hard enough to distort those, then you're no better off.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 12 Apr 2004 09:00:33 +1000, "Roger Martin" enlightened us thusly:

"Kangaroo to special order only" ?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 11 Apr 2004 22:20:44 +0100, "Cyberwraith" enlightened us thusly:

so, do yer wanna buy a bull bar :-)?

genuine LR, has lamp guards as well but they really need refinishing - either they're aftermarket, or if original, the finish is s**te. The bar itself is in good nick.

ISTR aftermarket ones similar are around the 150 quid mark new. 'course, genuine parts ones cost a fortune, but no-one buys them anyway, except with a new vehicle. or did, I should say...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I am interested but unfortunately I am going into hospital tomorrow and will be out of order for quite some time as they are cutting into my spine! No they are not putting one in, haha. The soonest I would have to consider actually getting a bullbar is going to be the end of June, hoepfully if they do not make any mistakes, ulp. And yes the bullbars do indeed pffer protection for higher contact from a van parking etc. Thats for Larry, Take care everyone

Reply to
Cyberwraith

And if you source them from around Cunnamulla/Thargamindah they should have plenty of feral pig attached as well.

The use for a bull bar is very dependant on where you are!!!!!

Reply to
Jason.Goods

Austin how much you want for the bars Im in Sunny Durham but in Manchester far too often

Andy

Discovery 2.5 tdi - no jap rubbish here

"Hey spammers, spam me I hunt you down and kill you, okay?"

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

On or around Mon, 12 Apr 2004 15:29:30 +0100, "Andrew Renshaw" enlightened us thusly:

I'm not in Mancyland... I'm in Wales. But it's not ridiculously far away. Durham is further, I'll admit...

I see Paddocks offer a similar Bearmach bar for 125 quid. I assume that to be reaonable quality, equivalent I daresay to the LR one.

Make us an offer...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yeah, that's the point !!! Like just an 'ordinary' kangaroo ( about 100++kgs)....... up an _over_ the 'bumper' and quite a bit of agro to the radiator/a.c./lights etc. "Bull bars" aren't just for rounding up bulls or 'nudging gates', for cryin' out loud.

But I guess there aren't a real lot of kangas, pigs, wombats an' so on around any of the "green lanes", eh ! Maybe a sheep ?? They usually go _under_ though! ( and often then get up and run off!.... Good 'flack jackets' on some sheep! :))) )

... frodo.

Reply to
frodo