Chipping Td5

If I had around £500 spare would it be worth having my Discovery Td5 Auto ("2002) chipped. If so which is the best one to go for. And a local one to me in Warwickshire.

Reply to

I've tried Superchips and van Aaken. Both within your price range. Both have agents around the country.

On paper the van Aaken box is better, but I actually liked the "feel" of the Superchip better. As it happens I've stuck with the van Aaken (more torque than the Superchip but not as much power increase). You can read more about both on my fledgling Disco II site.

It's definitely worth doing if you have the cash. I've also heard that the Autologic upgrade is worth looking at

Jeremy Fearn is also an option - higher power and torque than the others, but some people feel this may have a detrimental effect on the engine life. If you speak to any of the chip makers or resellers, they'll all slag the others off, so it's quite hard to get an objective opinion.

David

Reply to
David French

On or around Sun, 11 Apr 2004 21:41:40 +0100, "David French" enlightened us thusly:

did you get email from a chap about that?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I agree with David French, the Autologic chip reprogramming looks good and gives 160bhp and if you are in Warwickshire try Town & Country land Rovers in Leamington Spa on 01926 335630 as they are just about to start doing this mod.

Reply to
Exit

Don't JE Engineering in Coventry do things like this?

Ltwt

Reply to
Ltwt

About what? Don't think so. Overzealous spam filter?

Reply to
David French

On or around Mon, 12 Apr 2004 13:54:29 +0100, "David French" enlightened us thusly:

I'll forward it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Currently, there is no information for our TD5 chip on our website. For more information or for details on your nearest Autologic workshop please call diagnos.

Autologic currently has power upgrades for TD4, TD5, TD6 and the MEMS3 (Freelander 1.8 2001 onwards). All are serial downloads and do not require any additional hardware to be fitted to the vehicle.

diagnos.co.u k

+44 (0)1491 614300
Reply to
ADB

Just spoke to Diagnos and to clarify, their upgrades do not require additional hardware, but they *do* require a flash-upgradeable ECU, so in Disco terms this would mean 2001 onwards, unless you buy a new ECU and then have it upgraded.

I'm also told you can register on their website and then download the torque curves, just waiting for the login info to come through...

David

Reply to
David French

Oh no I'm not. They rejected me. Diagnos seem to have some internal confusion here as they're telling me two different things. :) If they give me the torque curves I'll let the group know. But they're not exactly making life easy for me here.

David

Reply to
David French

Right, I like Diagnos again now. They called me and sent me a torque/power curve for Defender. Hope to have Disco curves available shortly. If anybody wants to see the Defender details, call Diagnos as I don't want to send out their proprietary information, but power goes from 123BHP at about

3700rpm to about 160BHP at that rev range, with a peak power of 170BHP at 4000rpm.

Torque goes from 290NM max (2500rpm) to about 333NM max (pretty flat from

2000 to 3000rpm). The torque curve is quite striking.

I'd like to try it, but I'd need a new ECU to do so. If anybody has a spare ECU knocking around in the garage, let me know :)

David

Reply to
David French

David Do you know if Diagnos has a web site. If not a phone number

Reply to

01491 614300

HTH David

Reply to
David French

Our website has two sections, a public section and a secure section for our Autologic customers. The performance data figures are in the secure section and that is where the confusion as to whether or not we had published the figures has come from.

For the time being, pending an update to our website I have placed the performance data for our Defender TD5 upgrade, and our TD6 Range Rover upgrade at the following address.

We should have figures for the Discovery 2 TD5, the Freelander 1.8 (2001 onwards) and the Freelander TD4 within the next 2 to 3 weeks.

Regards ADB diagnos.co.uk

Reply to
ADB