Bull Bars legal or not?

On or around Wed, 14 Apr 2004 07:52:06 +1000, snipped-for-privacy@nothankyou.mam.inOz (frodo) enlightened us thusly:

I ran over one at low speed once, it seemed to survive. Must be them extra-wide tyres spreading the load...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I bagged three in New Zealand at different times, under the front valance of a Toyota Lite-Ace van. All three scrambled to their feet and limped off, apparently fine. They seem pretty robust.

What did for them was the habit of running along in front of the van, on either side, and then crossing (in the style of synchronised swimmers) just as it drew level with them.

I know a lot of sheep traffic behaviour stems from their behaviour with natural predators, but I'm not sure how running directly across the front of predators helps, unless it trips them up.

David

Reply to
David French

Principle use is to stop kangaroos from damaging the radiator and lights. Very nearly hit one last night on the way home, and on my trip to town the the week before Easter I was, with the car in front of me, overtaken by a motorist who obviously thought the speed limit was set too low. While he was still on the other side of the road about half a km ahead of us he hit a kangaroo. Fortunately the car (a Falcon) had a bull bar, and although its mounts were obviously distorted and there was some panel damage, the car was still driveable. Without a bullbar there is a very good chance that the roo would have gone through the windscreen, and at that speed a serious accident would have been very likely. Even if it hit low enough to avoid this, the radiator would have almost certainly been damaged, leaving the car undriveable. (both my Landrovers have bullbars) A further use is to prevent damage to lights from overhanging branches, swinging gates, and when herding stock. JD

1986 110 County 3.9 diesel 1970 2a petrol
Reply to
JD

Large vermin don't complaim about green laners!!!

Reply to
Peter Seddon

In message , David French writes

Sheep have only one aim in life - to die as soon as possible.:(

Reply to
hugh