Bumper chop for series II Disco with brush bar

I just bought a red, stock '00 with a Safari Rack. I drove it around town for a week or two. Then I broke the passenger front axle, bent the front diff housing, and broke the front gears. I had to tow it 200 miles from Moab Utah, back to the dealer near Salt Lake City. It then spent three weeks in the shop waiting for the diff housing to arrive. We got it back two days before we started smashing it again. :-D

I slipped down and muddy hill into a creek bed. I smashed out my passenger front fog light and broke my passenger rear tail light. This destroyed the plastic in the front fender. We picked the drive side plastic out of the creek. We disconnected the passenger side plastic when we got home. We didn't notice it rubbing the front tire. We smelled it when we got out. I also tore of my passenger rear mud flap and the plastic trim it was connected to. Most of these systems are redundant so I'm doing okay. :-)

I had to disconnect two hoses from my fog light and disconnect it when my wife noticed it swinging near my tire. What are the hoses? Should I pipe them together or not worry about them?

I'm thinking of just disconnecting the other light chopping off the red plastic of each side with a sawzall. Should I try to reconnect the mud flap? Can I get steel trim to replace this plastic stuff?

Reply to
Derek Hanks

I forgot to mention that my compass now reads "C" facing any direction. :-) What should I check to fix this?

Reply to
Derek Hanks

So Derek Hanks was, like

Most people prepare their vehicles by removing breakable bits *before* doing serious stuff. You seem to be going at it the wrong way round ;-) My advice would be:

  1. Remove all non-essential stuff such as mudflaps, plastic spoilers etc., if there's anything left
  2. Repair all essential stuff like drive train components and then protect them with diff guards, steering guards etc
  3. Remove vulnerable lights etc and move them to safer positions
  4. Fit big tyres, suspension lift, rock sliders etc to give yourself a fighting chance
  5. Don't worry about resale value when you're finished.

And BTW, remind me not to lend you my Range Rover next time you want to play.

:-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman