Sway Bar disconnect in sand

Hello,

I have been lurking here for some time and have learned a lot. Thanks for that. I have an '02 TJ w/ 3" Teraflex lift, (S3T), lockers front and back, 4.10 gears and 33 x 12.5 Mickey Thompsone MTX tire. Almost all of my wheeling is in very soft sand in dunes up to 700' high here in Oman (Just east of Saudi Arabia). This is my first Jeep, although I used to do quite a bit of wheeling in big trucks in Alaska.

Now on to the question of the day:

Should I disconnect my sway bar for this sand duty? Most people here think that this will increase the roll of the Jeep when sidehilling along the crest of a dune (which we do a LOT of!). The local wisdom is that the decreased stability / increased roll would increase the chances of rolling down the side of a dune in this situation.

I have to admit that the local Jeepers can do some high speed sidehilling that I thought would be impossible and seem to do it with ease.

Any advice from others with experience in similar situations?

thanks, Frank

Reply to
Frank Bergren

Disconnecting the sway bar gives you more articulation which is good from crawling rocks, rought terrain in general. While we don't have much sand here in Arkansas, I wouldn't think it would help in the conditions you're wheeling in and as you said, may be more of a detriment.

Reply to
Ichabod Shagnasti

I leave mine connected for sand and wheel with lots of TJ's that disconnect.

The TJ's with their coil springs and a disconnected bar cannot do near as well on sand wall climbs as my CJ with leafs and bar connected.

They get wheel hop like crazy and once the wheels get in the air, they spin and just dig holes.

I also would be wondering about the side roll issues, that anti sway bar is there for a reason.....

My $0.02

Mike

Frank Bergren wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I never bother to disconnect my TJ for sand. Trail work and rockcrawling, yes. Snow, sometimes.

Reply to
jbjeep