Can I put my spare wheel on my bonnet?

Hello all
I'd like to put my spare on the bonnet, but I've heard that not all bonnets are created equal. I've put some pictures of the inside of the bonnet here
http://www.btinternet.com/~oliver.rundell/landrover/bonnet.htm if someone can tell me whether it's suitable for mounting the wheel on, I'd be very grateful. And is the mounting plate easy to come by? The wheel's a standard LWB five hole thing. Thanks for your help
--
Olly R
109 Stage One V8

I went to great efforts putting the tyre on the bonnet of my S2. Once done, I got in the car and realised that a 235/85 is substantially bigger than a 600x16 and I couldn't see where I was going. I have a bonnet mount kit lurking in the garage somewhere as a result.
Tim Hobbs

Is a 235/85 bigger or smaller than a General SAG 7.50x16? I've been driving with one on the bonnet for ages. You should know where the corners of your vehicle are, without having to see them :D
Alex

Same diameter but the metric tyre is a bit wider I think.
It was just about impossible to drive with it there.
Tim Hobbs

You can hear where the corners are. If theres a crunch or bang then theyre telling you that youre too close..

interference parking :)
Olly R tried to scribble ...

As Tim says .. it's _well_ worth simply placing the spare wheel on the bonnet one day and seeing what and how far, you can see with it there ..
Try driving with it there too, strap it down maybe for a short while, to see how it fares when on road and lining up junctions and road markings. When we wanted to do this with our swb S3 we found that with the tyre sizes we had it was easier to add a third hinge to the rear door and hang it off the back .. ;)
--
Digweed
.... ;)

see
we
back

swb.<snip>
I've never liked bonnet mounted spares - especially after I had one collapse onto me while I was working on an engine years ago.
Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail
I reckon it would obscure the wing mirrors as well, I hear there are disadvantages to shoving the spare on the back door two, regards the weight on the hinges, bound to cause damage eventually unless you get one of those thingys.
--
Larry

"We are all of one mind, one equal mind, and if each of us persists in being

see
I'll try this out first, and see how much I can see!
cheers
Olly
Mine is on the roof.
--
Larry

"We are all of one mind, one equal mind, and if each of us persists in being
Larry wrote:

Doesn't do much for your centre of gravity though putting it there. Increases your chances of having the entire landrover on the roof quite significantly...
--
Paul Everett
repton at repton dot org
Larry

"We are all of one mind, one equal mind, and if each of us persists in being
in article bogqgq$1eetbi$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-129032.news.uni-berlin.de, Larry at snipped-for-privacy@larry-arnold.com wrote on 7/11/03 18:55:

or find somebody who has one for sale (hint, hint).

That's presumably a height-of-spare-wheel issue, rather than an ability-to-suuport-the-weight-of-the-wheel issue?
Olly
I wonder if it is possible to mount a spare wheel in front of the radiator ?
--
Larry

"We are all of one mind, one equal mind, and if each of us persists in being

?
Almost anything's possible in a land rover ;-) Mine's a stage one, so it's got a flat front like a Defender, but it might work for other Series vehicles.
Olly

The SAS Pink Panther did. It was mounted at an angle, so as to allow cooling. Upright would not be a good idea, methinks.
Alex

Pedestrian would bounce off nicely though.
--
hugh