Can I put my spare wheel on my bonnet?

Hello all

I'd like to put my spare on the bonnet, but I've heard that not all bonnets are created equal. I've put some pictures of the inside of the bonnet here

someone can tell me whether it's suitable for mounting the wheel on, I'dbe very grateful. And is the mounting plate easy to come by? The wheel's astandard LWB five hole thing.Thanks for your help

Reply to
Olly R

I went to great efforts putting the tyre on the bonnet of my S2. Once done, I got in the car and realised that a 235/85 is substantially bigger than a 600x16 and I couldn't see where I was going. I have a bonnet mount kit lurking in the garage somewhere as a result.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Olly R tried to scribble ...

As Tim says .. it's _well_ worth simply placing the spare wheel on the bonnet one day and seeing what and how far, you can see with it there ..

Try driving with it there too, strap it down maybe for a short while, to see how it fares when on road and lining up junctions and road markings. When we wanted to do this with our swb S3 we found that with the tyre sizes we had it was easier to add a third hinge to the rear door and hang it off the back .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

my wheel and a 750 - 16 tyre are bolted to the bonnet / hood of my S3 swb. Visibility is not great anyway. with the wheel there its like a porthole. but i am also very tall and have retro fitted seats, essentially i sort of peer over the wheel at what of the road i can see!

hmm. . . must take the wheel off and see how i get on. . .

Ted

Reply to
teddave

I've never liked bonnet mounted spares - especially after I had one collapse onto me while I was working on an engine years ago.

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

Mine is on the roof.

Reply to
Larry

I reckon it would obscure the wing mirrors as well, I hear there are disadvantages to shoving the spare on the back door two, regards the weight on the hinges, bound to cause damage eventually unless you get one of those thingys.

Reply to
Larry

I think you can get an expensive aftermarket recessed bonnet somewhere.

Reply to
Larry

in article bogqgq$1eetbi$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-129032.news.uni-berlin.de, Larry at snipped-for-privacy@larry-arnold.com wrote on 7/11/03 18:55:

or find somebody who has one for sale (hint, hint).

Reply to
Rory Manton

I'll try this out first, and see how much I can see!

cheers

Olly

Reply to
Olly R

I wonder if it is possible to mount a spare wheel in front of the radiator ?

Reply to
Larry

That's presumably a height-of-spare-wheel issue, rather than an ability-to-suuport-the-weight-of-the-wheel issue?

Olly

Reply to
Olly R

Almost anything's possible in a land rover ;-) Mine's a stage one, so it's got a flat front like a Defender, but it might work for other Series vehicles.

Olly

Reply to
Olly R

Is a 235/85 bigger or smaller than a General SAG 7.50x16? I've been driving with one on the bonnet for ages. You should know where the corners of your vehicle are, without having to see them :D

Alex

Reply to
Alex

The SAS Pink Panther did. It was mounted at an angle, so as to allow cooling. Upright would not be a good idea, methinks.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Same diameter but the metric tyre is a bit wider I think.

It was just about impossible to drive with it there.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

You can hear where the corners are. If theres a crunch or bang then theyre telling you that youre too close..

Reply to
Tom Woods

interference parking :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

You can also get less expensive recessed Military bonnets? At least I assume thats what it is on the front of my older car. Never had a problem with the bonnet mouted spare till I took it off one day to change a flat and couldn't be arsed to bolt the flat onto the bonnet when I knew I had to sort it out anyway so lobbed it in the back. I was amazed at how much you could see without a big wheel in the way.

Oh and it takes TWO people to open the bonnet with a spare on it, one to pull the release catch and the other to lift it as it wont just spring up that little bit on its own!

Reply to
Mark

in article boh1nr$1egnpd$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-129032.news.uni-berlin.de, Larry at snipped-for-privacy@larry-arnold.com wrote on 7/11/03 20:58:

Theres a Srs2 round my way that has a wide bumper with a recese in that holds the spair upright infront of the radiator.

Reply to
Rory Manton