bonnet mounted spare on Series IIa

Hi All,

I had my bonnet-mounted spare off today to replace the tire. I noticed that the mounting plate isn't well attached to the bonnet -- about half the rivets have pulled out of their holes. I was thinking of replacing them with either stainless or brass screws. Any caveats or alternate suggestions?

Thanks!

-Chris Estes-

Reply to
ChrisEstes

For some reason I have a sneaking suspicion that stainless and Aluminimum wasn't a good combination. Though I suppose suitably insulated its vastly superior to loose rivets.

From my own experience, though I like the profile of the bonnet mounted wheels they are much more practical mounted elsewhere.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

You should definitely not use brass - it is weak and will cause electrolytic corrosion of the aluminium and the galvanised mounting plate. Stainless steel is acceptable provided that it is insulated from the aluminium and preferably the plate as well. If you get the SS bolts from a marine chandler they will also be able to sell you insulating washers and sleeves for them. The preferred attachment is either aluminium or galvanised steel rivets, and it is unusual for them to come loose if they were properly installed in the first place. JD

Reply to
JD

In news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, ChrisEstes typed: | Hi All, | | I had my bonnet-mounted spare off today to replace the tire. I | noticed that the mounting plate isn't well attached to the bonnet -- | about half the rivets have pulled out of their holes. I was thinking | of replacing them with either stainless or brass screws. Any caveats | or alternate suggestions? | | Thanks! | | -Chris Estes-

Mine's bolted with galv nuts, bolts & split washers, as it came out of the factory 37 years ago. No problems yet ...

Karen

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

I suppose you do want a bonnet mounted spare to be secure, but my roof mounted spare is attached by a single bracket that clamps round the roofrack and secures by one nut only, It stays where it is as well, Tea leaves can't be bothered to climb onto the roof to nick it.

I would think a hefty plate underneath the bonnet and bolts would do as well as anything official.

Reply to
Larry