Carequality?

Has anyone had any dealings with this firm? They are advertising repatriated Tdi Discoveries from Japan, all low mileage and rust-free. From the ads (LRO etc), they sound great, although not cheap. Never off-roaded, never used for towing, no salt on Japanese roads, great condition etc. Where's the catch?

You may guess from this enquiry that I am going to have to sell my beloved

4.6HSE Rangie, which I love and admire, but can no longer justify. I want to replace it with a diesel, and it must be an auto, which seems to narrow it down to a decent 200/300Tdi Disco - unless I've missed something...

Any thoughts, boys and girls?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

According to friendly dealer, they have some peculiar additions for the Jap market that are difficult to get hold of, Jap handbooks, slightly different tune to handle local xonditions.

off-roaded,

Reply to
Hirsty's

New Zealand imports loads of ex-Japan vehicles of all makes and models. Most of the Discos coming here are V8 ones - I'm not sure that there are a lot of Tdi's sold in Japan. The Japanese seem *very* bad at servicing their vehicles - most of the fresh imported ones I see have blocked air filters, the original fuel filters and treacle in the sump. There also seems to be a pretty good industry going in Japan dodgying up the odometers, and the only real check is the Japanese deregistration certificate (no use if it was doctored first). As an example, a friend of mine bought a Hilux with 97000km showing, but the service stickers under the bonnet showed that it's cam belt had been changed at 104000km

2 years before it left Japan, so there was something shady going on. If you can get one with it's full Japanese service history books, can find someone to translate them for you and it all seems to stack up it should be ok.
Reply to
EMB

I heard the bit about them running them into the ground too.

Reply to
Angus McCoatup

On or around Mon, 7 Feb 2005 21:53:34 -0000, "Angus McCoatup" enlightened us thusly:

it's this weird rule about not having vehicles over 5 years old, or whatever. Why bother looking after it if you're going to be getting rid of it soon anyway? Consumer society gone mad, innit.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

At 5 years old they get a 'super-MOT' where they have to replace all sorts of gubbins like door locks, seatbelts, air bags (I think), HT leads, cats and a whole load of other stuff like brake hoses. It's much cheaper for them to buy a new vehicle, so they treat what they've got like crap knowing that it's effectively obsolete at 5 years old.

Reply to
EMB

Hi mate, I have first hand knowledge of them, they are about 1/2 mile from my house & I I bought my Trooper from them last year. Although the garage is small, they offered me great service when the head went. No messing, a nice LR loan car & my car fixed fast & free.

There's a chap called Philip, give them a ring.

I pass the place about 10 times a day & they do have some very tidy LR stock in. They had a 110 in a week or two ago that was like new on a D plate!!

Nige

Reply to
/\/ / & E

Ther odd bit is all the Taxis in Japan are aincient old Toyotas!!!

Nige

Reply to
/\/ / & E

So EMB was, like

Hmmm. Think this more-or-less makes my mind up. Thanks for the input chaps.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

So /\/ / & E was, like

Hi Nige

They're out Calverley way, right? My ex-inlaws live near there, and while my Mum was alive I was up that way every few weeks. Now, however, I have no cause to go to Leeds at all. It's a hell of a way from West Wales to pop in and have a look - I've got to be pretty sure it'll be worth it before I go and see. I might give this guy a ring and grill him about the vehicles. After the other replies to this thread I am a bit cautious.

Cheers

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Can't hurt to ring him, if you want any hi-res pics I can bob round with my camera & take a few pics. I'm in Thackley about 3 miles from Calverley. The garage is in Idle, next village to Thackley.

Cheers

Nige

Reply to
/\/ / & E

On or around Tue, 8 Feb 2005 09:35:42 -0000, "/\\/ / & E" enlightened us thusly:

now there's a place I could fancy living in.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It's a nice place too Austin!

Nige

-- Subaru WRX (The Bitch)

Series 3 Landrover 88" (Albert)

"If you tolerate this then your children will be next"

Reply to
Nige