P38a Air Conditioning

My 1998 P38a has a slow leak (3 weeks to go down) in the evaporator unit of the a/c, behind the dashboard. My local LR agent has quoted about £1300 to replace it, made up of £280 for the part, 9 hours' labour (because of all the dismantling needed) and VAT.

Does anyone have a less painful solution?

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Mawson

If the unit is leaking, then there is no real alternative to replacing it, AFAIAA, there is no magic sealant stuff for A/C.

Alternatives....

Independent land rover garage, fitting second-hand part?

If you are feeling brave, buy the part, strip the dash, then get your local mobile A/C dude down to change the evap before you rebuild the dash.

Reply to
SimonJ

Definately what i would do! go buy a haynes manual!

MC.

Reply to
Mark C.

Have Haynes brought out a manual for the P38a?????

Bob

Reply to
BoB-B

So BoB-B was, like

No.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Besides their instructions would be somthing along the lines of remove dash. Refit is the revese of removal procedure.

Alternatively, "this job is best left to the professionals so take your wagong to your nearest Approved dealer. "

Unless you can get your hands on a decent mannual (prefer LR workshop man) don't waste your money on the haynes.

Regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie

On or around Tue, 8 Feb 2005 09:10:39 -0000, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

It'll only tell you "overhauling the is difficult and best left to a suitably-equipped garage". Buggrem.

Amazes me that they list stripdown and rebuild for the engines and then say gearboxes are too complicated.

One day I'll write to 'em about it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles