Channel 4 news piece on off-roading

That's the thing that I hate about the Ramblers Association - they bang on endlessly about their rights to do this or that, and then turn round with total hypocarcey (sp?) and demand that others should not be able to excersise theirs.

An intersting development in the Peak Park recently has been a massive burst of lane maintainence. Taking one of my habitual short-cuts near Hartington I found that a "porper road" (pulverised ash surface at a guess) had replaced the rather rutted old surface, and they had even laid this "road" accross the lawn that someone had tried to claim as part of their garden. Together with all the other lanes they have surfaced in the last few months it does make things a little dull, but at least they are doing maintainance rather than closing them.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

There weren't really any significant ruts, but he did complain about having to fill them in himself, which given that he's a landowner with a right of way running across his property that he uses as part of his business far more often than people in landrovers are likely to, it's not something that he should be moaning about as it's his lawful duty and also he's going to be the one causing the most damage.

When I went off-roading on an organised trip in the Brecon Beacons there were 15 vehicles in the convoy, and the chap running it said he'd seen 50 vehicle convoys led by some chap who runs one of the landrover mags. I won't be going to the beacons in an organised trip again, but it's these huge convoys, even 15, that pour masses of petrol on the flames.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Indeed, quite a good read.

For the benefit of those who aren't members of GLASS and don't have the magazine (shame on you), the rider who found the device moved it to the side of the road and informed the police, who went back up there and dredged the puddle and found that it had been put back in.

I'll be putting this stuff in the letter to C4 and asking them why they don't cover real crime.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Old age I think! Get your eyes tested ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Indeed, the usual guideline is 5 or 6 in a group. Unfortunately the commercial and magazine "paid events" are doing us no favours at all. Though why people can't just join a club and thereby same themselves a lot of money and get advice for free from experts who have the benefit of much experience beats me.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I usually top out at three, I went off-roading a week or so ago with two other trucks after having vetoed the joining of a fourth. I start getting embarassed at four if we meet anyone else on the track. That's not usually much of a problem around here though, I rarely see any other lane users, despite the countryside teeming with hordes of satanic off-roaders intent on raping squirrels.

Yep, if I could remember which magazine was running the 50-strong convoys in the Beacons I'd start writing regular letters, both to the magazine in question and their rivals.

My local group, Friends of Dorset Rights of Way led a convoy of about

10 across Salisbury Plain, there were two groups of 10 or so lead by the group after a surprisingly large turnout, one of the groups was led by the local GLASS rep, which was a bit off. I won't be going on one of those again either.
Reply to
Ian Rawlings

...I told him getting excited so about V8's would make him blind!

;0)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:46:19 +0100, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

nah, different monitor. been trying to get the thing to play nicely with the graphics card - modern graphics cards have too many tweaks. Having said that, it's ghosting and I've just ordered a better video cable, so it might well perform better with that in place.

Reply to
Austin Shackles