Completely OT: Immigration

Article on t'BBC:

Says that, according to a "think tank", immigration has reached the point where Britain "could no longer be seen as a single nation".

Two points: one, it isn't anyway, it is a political union of three (three and a half) countries. Two, am I alone in seeing this whole immigration thing as being the wrong way around? Shouldn't the UK be encouraging people to come AND WORK for the benefit of the nation? As I see it, I'd be happy to have anyone come, provided they did some serious work and provided income, and future generations (yes, I know I'm in France, but I'd apply the same here too). The best way to discourage the "freeloading" attitude would be to, well, stop freeloading. And the way to do this is to reduce the welfare state - no (effectively) indefinite income support, only basic healthcare (i.e emergencies, childbirth and chronic illnesses for which private health insurance is unavailable). No crappy local "services" like subsidised child care for black one-legged lesbian males.

In other words, you come, you work, you contribute, you can stay. No job, no money, no thanks you can go. Cut down the tax burden for the working man, make people pay their own way. I bet you'd see a lot more families staying together, looking after Granny, looking after the kids

- just like the Asian families do (on the whole - I lived in Nottingham where the Asian population looked after it's own, although they had shocking habits as regard waste disposal), and less dependence on "oh, the council/government will sort it out for me". You can bet that, in the event of benefits being cut back, they won't suffer as much as the useless white loafers.

Stuart

And I'll get Nige's reaction in first: f*ck, toss, cockwit :)

Reply to
Stuart Gray

It's a nice idea.

However there are problems.

The main one is the 'legacy of empire'.

As the former colonial power of lots of places currently being run by assorted psychopaths and military monsters we're considered to have a responsibility to political dissenters from those places.

They have to run somewhere and the former colonial power is as good as anywhere...

At least they'll probably speak the language.

This means that London (mainly) is littered by people running away from the aforementioned psychopaths and military monsters and the UK is considered a legitimate place for them to run to as they usually espouse our system as the on they'd like to introduce back home, as inspired by the aforementioned colonial power.

They also usually say, with some justification, that it's our fault anyway.

Anyway, the UN agrees with them that seeking refuge with the former colonial power is a legitimate way to claim political asylum.

Reply to
William Black

Latest figures are 500 people net gain per day - 1000 people out, 1500 in. Got to keep the housing price shored up or we'll really be fscked.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

That sounds about right. Get yourself over to Leeds Bradford or Liverpool airports and watch the Ryanairs or Jet2's arriving from Poland etc - empty out, full on return. No wonder housing prices are so high, we haven't room or infrastructure on this tiny island for the increasing population.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

If you want a decent curry you have to be prepared to live with the curry chef living in your street

Reply to
William Black

Have we every been? Saxons, Vikings, Normans, Romans, etc etc.

I seem to recall that recently immigration matched emigration for the first time on an anual basis - something that always gets omitted from discussions on the subject.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On that subject I was reading our local free paper today and it describes a huge new development in Staines that is expected to be given the green light soon saying "The Developer will also give Spelthorne Council £314,000 to discourage car use in Staines"!!!

The local roads are falling apart, this Council has just spent tens of thousands widening a pavement by a foot that I have never seen anyone walking on destroying an ancient hedgerow in the process, it's put a big traffic island in the same road with pedestrian area that literally leads nowhere, and now they intend to spend taxpayers money dissuading car use. What gives these muddle headed civil servants the mandate to waste taxpayer money on such bigoted anti car and therefore anti tax payer schemes?

We aren't in London (despite what some of you might think) so our public transport is an expensive joke.

Rant over (for now!)

Reply to
Bob Hobden

I look down on this country from 20'000 feet (Thank fsuk the western world still measures altitude in feet!) several times a week and I would say that it is pretty much full up. More development would lead to farmland disappearing and the country becoming one massive slab of concrete.The North West, East, South East, Midlands etc all have huge built up areas that almost blend into one and a hell of a lot of the UK that is undeveloped is unsuitable because of the terrain. 500/day immigrants is unsustainable, it's as simple as that. Once again, the gubbinsment have been caught with their pants down (again) on this issue, though they do at least admit it - trouble is they haven't a fekking clue how to stop it....

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

surely if immigration were matched to emmigration house prices should remain steady? I'd be happy with that!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Immigration should be less, what about family increases? :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

There's a fair few members of society who shouldn't be allowed to breed. Sort them out too and the problem is solved.

Reply to
EMB

Aye lets start with the buggers with mispelt tattoo's and dogs with collars that weigh more than 3 lbs.

Derek

Reply to
Derek

Absolutely!! 400 yards from there the Council are implementing a new safer roads system, this consists of rebuilding a perfectly adequate mini roundabout into one that you can drive over some of. It has been moved off centre, so buses and lorries struggle to get round it. There have been four men on site for over a week JUST doing block paving. Tarmac or concrete could have been laid in half a day!

Reply to
John Moppett