Copper washers in the gasket pack.

I have purchased a gasket pack for a Defender 300Tdi and within it there are numerous small copper washers. When I took the engine apart I did not come across any of these copper washers and the workshop manual does not mention any of them, can anybody advise what the heck these are for?

In a similar vein, the workshop manual mentions an 'O' ring on the crank shaft behind the timing belt gear, again there wasn't one when I took it apart neither is there one in the gasket pack but there is an oil seal ther can anybody advise?

Griff

Reply to
Griff

They are included in the 200TDi head set, injector return pipe sealing washers I presume the 300tdi uses similar - a little smaller than the now defunct 1/2p coin

Derek

Reply to
Derek

And the 'O' ring goes where you say, on the crankshaft nose, behind the pulley. The pulley is chamfered on the inside rear edge and the 'O' ring is trapped in here to prevent oil seeping down the mating surfaces of the pulley and crankshaft. To replace it you have to draw off the pulley (don't lose the key).

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Dont all gasket sets come with loads of surplus copper washers and o rings? :)

The bottom end set ive just put much of on the v8 has a bag of copper washers. Dont think i've seen one in use yet!

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

I wonder why they would include them on the bottom end set, top end set yes for the injector seals, maybe one for the oil pickup pipe, one for the oil pressure switch.Sounds like somebody just left them on a checklist which gets blindly followed certainly not going to strip down the rangie to find out tho' Derek

Reply to
Derek

Gasket sets can cover a huge range of applications - the "spare" bits in a 300Tdi top end set are all used when the engine in is a crop spayer (Tdi's were quite popular in abgricultural machinery).

Richard

Reply to
BeamEnds

there you go V8 lawn mower ;-) bet that goes like sh*t offa shiny shovel Derek

Reply to
Derek

Ian Rawlings

Blimey, V8 hand-held chainsaw!

Ian Rawlings

The problem of copper washers hopefully has been resolved. There are more than I thought, each fuel banjo bolt has two, the fuel injectors have one each,etc, but the really mysterious one is what the paper one was for, I found the old one on the garage floor and do not know where it comes from. I need to know before I finish putting all back together!

Griff

Reply to
Griffith