couple of petitions...

one for lee D...

and one that I reckon is a good idea:

Austin Shackles

That last one is certainly a good idea, however, I do have reservations about the real meaning of a Bank Holiday when all shops etc are staffed and open.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Agreed though why the Monday after remembrance Sunday? Should it not be the 11th Day of the 11th month. Oh sorry that'll move about and may even be on a Saturday or Sunday thus wouldn't give the paper pushers and wage slaves a long weekend. Well tough, perhaps it would remind people better what such a holiday is all about.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Sat, 12 Jan 2008 23:17:46 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

Frankly, although a huge number of people died in WW1, it's a long time ago now and the date is largely irrelevant - it wasn't even really an end to the war, as such. Many more people have died in may more conflicts since.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

"Austin Shackles" wrote

But Remembrance Day isn't just about WW1, it's about all those of our Nation that died and are dieing in conflicts.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

In message , Austin Shackles writes

Reply to
hugh

In message , Austin Shackles writes

It's still within living memory for some and their immediate families - which is what I go by. But I agree with your sentiment - it has to pass into history at some stage.

Reply to
hugh

Very true, and in WW I we lost proportionally more than any since.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

On or around Sun, 13 Jan 2008 21:39:15 -0000, "Bob Hobden" enlightened us thusly:

that was my point about 11/11 - that's only ONE of the wars... and it wasn't as such an end anyway, more a timeout.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

But is was the one that triggered off Remberance and 11/11 can be "inconvient" in that it won't normally provide a long week end and sometimes won't even give an extra days skive for the M-F 9-5 wage slaves, aw shame. It is this "inconvience" that makes using 11/11 better IMHO as it makes people ask: Why? Not just now but years into the future.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I don't see what bank holidays have to do with remembrance?

All thats going to happen is that a proportion of the population will treat it as a holiday whilst expecting others to work so that they can enjoy themselves.

You either remember or your don't, a bank holiday won't do anything to alter this ;(

Reply to
Tim Jones