Crashed series landrover

Does anyone know anything about a very nasty accident involving what appeared to have once been a Series 2 or 2a Landrover on the roundabout at Crosshands Wales A48. I drove past on Friday evening, lots of Police around and firemen holding up sheets, it didn't look good.

Steve the grease

Reply to
R L driver

Report from Fire and Resce service:-

"Road traffic collision on the A48 eastbound carriageway Cross Hands roundabout involving one vehicle. Two tenders from Tumble and Pontarddulais and an emergency tender from Morriston and Carmarthen attended. The vehicle was made safe by fire and rescue personal and one casualty was pronounced dead. Fire and rescue personnel using hydraulic cutting equipment released the deceased casualty."

Guy died sadly - at a roundabout though - can't be much speed invovled.

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

Gotta be a rarity though, death by Land Rover so what happened?

Reply to
Larry

(snip)

In my experience (not personal, observation), serious roundabout accidents usually do involve speed (not necessarily the Landrover), often someone stops for roundabout traffic and the one behind does not because they are accelerating to get in the gap the one in front decides is too small. But without knowing any details, this is, of course, speculation. JD

Reply to
JD

Given the lack of acceleration an ANY series model i doubt it could be down to that. If someone hit him at speed, what would it do? it was a roundabout etc. I would think it may be down to driver error or even death at the wheel etc. I could have been many things & as we werent there, we cant really comment can we?

One of the only ways I can see low speed death in a series is a rollover. there is NO protection at all.

Anyway, shame the bloke copped it etc.

Reply to
Nige

Wouldn't like to see anything hit the driver's door either, especially something large! Also note that if not wearing a seat belt, earlier than S3 has some nasty things to hit if you run into anything - and the door locks are not very secure and if thrown out it is often very bad. In fact, even minor accidents without seat belts can be fatal in any car, although newer ones tend to be more friendly to bounce around in. Could have been hit from behind and pushed into the roundabout in front of something going relatively fast for example.

Yes agreed. JD

Reply to
JD

The Landrover or what was left of it had overturned and seemed to be resting on its bulkhead,right up against the roundabout. The vehicle was laying in line with the roundabout , rather than at right angles to it so it appeared to have been going round rather than coming onto the roundabout. I could tell by the axles that it was and old series model and a backwards glance at the front as I went past made me think that it probably had no screen or that it had been folded down as the bonnet was effectively lying on the road. Goodness knows what happened. Steve the grease

Reply to
R L driver

On or around Mon, 17 Jul 2006 22:11:54 +0100, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

that. If someone hit him

down to driver error or even

cant really comment can

is NO protection at all.

indeed.

more possibilities:

hit the roundabout too fast through inattention and couldn't make it round the first corner, and rolled it.

bloke died of a heart attack before the crash...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

While not wishing to speculate on what happened, as there are so many possibilities, it does remind me of when a freind and his son were killed in similar circumstances due to an incorrect mixture of shouldered and non-shouldered track rod ends.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Getting off this subject a bit, what is the ability to survive a roll over in a Series Landy with a truck cab or full hard top, are these strong enough to stand up in a roll or does it all just collapse down to the door tops etc.

Rich To reply remove " spam "

Reply to
Rich

You have no rollover protection, none at all.

Reply to
Nige

I've seen various views on this, but I'd offer the following...

The door tops are bolted on. On many vehicle, mine included, they are rusty bolts into a fairly thin bit of aluminium.

The truck cab for mine buckles and wobbles when you take it on / off. In my opinion it wouldn't take my weight, let alone the weight of the truck.

As you roll over, the forces don't come straight down through the roof. They'll start as side forces that I'd think would neatly collapse the cab by bending the doors in half and ripping the little

10mm bolts out of the top of the screen.

Given the scenario above, tyre failure would be a distinct possibility and could cause a rollover if the speeds were right. Ford / Firestone had a major debacle with this on the Explorer trucks in the US, although that was down to the tyre delaminating and the tread simply sliding off the carcass.

If you roll a Series, don't make any plans for the future...

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

A friend of mine somehow managed to drive into a mountain in France, and rolled his IIa three times, got out fine. It's not made of papier mache by a long stretch. It's no roll-over cage for sure, but no car is, unless you actually add a roll-over cage to it!

His IIa chassis however was bent! He spent ages rebuilding it.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

The rule is to duck, I don't think mine would do at all well in a rollover, considering the state of the doors which would add no strength whatever.

Reply to
Larry

Mind you what scared me a while ago was the prospect of being in a window seat of a railway carraige if that rolled over, you would fall out of the window and get broken to pieces as you were dragged along under the thing.

I'd reckon if you land on the side, you might be OK, I don't think a seatbelt would help at all though,

Does anyone make roll cages for nervos series drivers?

Reply to
Larry

ive seen pictures (and a vid i think) of a ragtop being rolled offroad. It collapsed down to the level of the top of the bulkheads but the occupants got out fine. I should think that unless you barrel rolled it with a lot of force, in a simple rollover you would be safe below the level of the bulkhead.

If i ever roll mine my plan is to duck into the middle and try and get below the level of the bulkheads. i've also got a seatbelt bar that gives me an extra foot or so above the rear bulkhead (if it is strong enough?)

Reply to
Tom Woods

The ability to do so is quite good - much better than one would expect given the actual construction of a Series roof. However, having seen the results of a few rollovers I won't venture offroad in a Series without some form of rollover protection (rollover hoop behind the front seats seems adequate).

Reply to
EMB

It came as standard on my leaf sprung landrover!

AJH

Reply to
AJH

On or around Tue, 18 Jul 2006 08:45:09 +0100, beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

which reminds me, need some for Edward II. actually, the easy way out of this (since I've yet to work out which kind) is 2 ends and a rod and replace the whole thing. I've got a use for bits of track rod tube, too, so it won't be entirely wasteful. Assuming it's the same size tube as the early

110 ones.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 18 Jul 2006 17:04:28 +0100, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

There have been several well-reported 90/110 rolls which have left the vehicle substantially intact and survivable - I doubt the top of a 90/110 is much stronger than a series. It's tougher than it looks.

Reply to
Austin Shackles