Crashed series landrover

NRC132 Series Track Rod Suff E on £18.07 inc VAT RTC5867GR Series Track Rod End Suffix E on RH Thread (1974) - No Shoulder On Thread - Use ONLY with Matching Tube £5.64 inc VAT RTC5868GR Series Track Rod End Suffix E on LH Thread (1974) - No Shoulder On Thread - Use ONLY with Matching Tube £5.64 inc VAT Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

If I remember the basic engineering principle right, what matters is the amount of energy absorbed by the deformation of the structure.

Some rollovers are survivable because there isn't so much excess energy in the roll. But, as a proportion of all rollover accidents, they may be rather a small fraction of the range of energies.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Series (excluding SI) are to all intents and purposes identical - some of the bolts are metric and the windscreen frame is an ally casting rather than a steel frame requiring a sligtly modded roof - that's about it!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Wed, 19 Jul 2006 14:07:41 +0100, beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

since I need the ends anyway (if one's gone, the other might as well be changed) then that only adds 18 quid to the bill.

are drag link ends the same, and are they too shouldered or not-shouldered?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 19 Jul 2006 20:34:17 +0100, Austin Shackles enlightened us thusly:

oh, and assuming suffix E refers to the VIN, I assume that rod will also fit earlier motors? Mine's an SIII suffix A.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

All Series windscreen frames are of galvanised steel construction, including Series 1, I think you're confusing them with Defenders.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Both the tube and the TRE's above are the non-shouldered types - the pre Suff. E (shouldered) ones are:

608464 Series Track Rod End RH Thread To Suffix D (1974) - With Shoulder On Thread - Use Only With Matching Tube £7.05 inc VAT 320902 Series Track Rod End LH Thread To Suffix D (1974) - With Shoulder On Thread - Use Only With Matching Tube £7.05 inc VAT 526994 Track Rod - Series to Suff. D - Use With Shouldered Track Rod Ends Only (608464 & 320902) £21.15 inc VAT The two types of TRE's are never mixed on one tube, though I have seen the non-shouldered type drilled out to accept the wrong type of TRE (the mind boggles!).

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

The rods are the same length - yours should have shouldered TRE's, but then who knows if the tube has been swapped at some time?

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

The quoted paragraph is the conclusion of a comparison between Series and Defender - put back in context and it makes sense!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Thu, 20 Jul 2006 08:33:07 +0100, beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

yebbut, if I replace the tube as well I've not got a problem. I'm not bothered about originality but I would like to have the tracking right :-)

OK, order will be formulated shortly. Gotta get the motor repaired and MOTted by end of August...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Just had two new track rod ends (for the MOT) and do you know what annoys me, I can't throw it around corners with the same abandon as when my steering was as loose as David Blunket's morals.

Reply to
Larry