Cubby box

Hi, Does anyone know of an easy way to fit a cubby box so that it is secure , I have a 1990 defender 200 tdi . if i remove the plate underneath the middle seat the box sits into this recess quite nicely but i don't want to leave this plate out as all the road dirt will be hitting the bottom of the cubby box, hope this makes sense, cheers Ian.

Reply to
Ian Hamilton

Mine is mounted on that plate. The height of the cushioned top is fine for me. Any particular reason for wanting it lower?

(My cubby box is from Exmoor Trim if that helps)

Happy New Year

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Reply to
Ian Hamilton

On the Defender 110 there are four screws. They all remained accessible with the cubby box.

The way the Exmoor cubby is fitted is that you take the plate off, mount two wooden battens to the plate (they run fore/aft), refit the plate then fit the cubby to the battens. That way the screws remain accessible as the cubby is not mounted when the plate goes back in (if you see what I mean).

I have no idea how other manufacturers cubbys work though!

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Reply to
Ian Hamilton

Have you fitted them two silly 1" square wooden sticks underneath ? The sticks fit to the car, the cubby goes on top of the sticks.

Peter R.

Reply to
Peter R.

I installed one of those secure ones with separate stereo compartment in my

  1. Much better than a centre seat in my opinion. I left the plate and bolted to it an H shaped frame made up from 2" box section metal. It looks easy enough to make,But i bought mine from scorpion racing along with the cubby. The good thing doing this is it leaves a small gap between the plate and cubby so wiring the stereo is also easy.
Reply to
bones

I screwed mine to the plate, but the plate's so weedy that if anyone wanted to steal what's in the box, they could just rip it off, plate and all, and leggit. Also in a front collision, the plate probably won't hold the cubby box, it'll most likely mash my elbow. The frame idea is much better, a path I intend to follow at some point.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I once fitted a home made one to a series 11A, folded up a piece of Birmabright into a box with no lid, the four sides had an outward fold on the top, this was pop-riveted to the underside of the middle seatbox, then the original lid goes on, padlock on the turnkey & it's secure. Never rusted or got grubby inside as it was non-removable. The PTO dog clutch underneath made the cubby quite small but still very useful & useable. Took about an hour to make, bending the metal over a piece of scrap angle iron.

Karen

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

Reply to
Ian Hamilton

Hi

I put strips of Velcro on the batons and then stuck some to the plate and velcro'd it in place. This way I can very easily remove it.

Thanks Phil

Ian Hamilt> Hi, Does anyone know of an easy way to fit a cubby box so that it is secure

Reply to
Phil Clarke